STOP MOSQUITOS FROM BITING

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by KSEAMON, Sep 5, 2009.

1. KSEAMON

KSEAMON New Member

State:
    PERRY, GA
    FOUND A GREAT THING THAT WORKS IN GEORGIA SWAMPS FOR STOPPING MOSQUITOS FROM ATTACKING YOU...GET THE REGULAR BOTTLE OF LISTERINE (PLAIN) PUT IN SPRAY BOTTLE AND SPRAY CLOTHES, SKIN, BOAT, ANY AREAS AS NEEDED. HAS WORKED REAL WELL EVEN FISHING AT NIGHT WITH BOAT LIGHTS ON THE RIVER.

2. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the tip bro'!

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Notice if your "luck" drops off with that stuff on ya...

4. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    We have been using this around the house as well for some time now and it does work.
    As a sideline it is said that if you put 3 cooper pennies in a baggie and hang it over your doorway the flys will stay out. I don't know why But friends have told me it works for them. I will try it myself to see.
    Keep your line in the water !

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I don't like strong odors about me when fishin'. I'll stick with the Thermacell when fishin/huntin'. Cost a little more, but 99% effective.

Bill in SC

6. KSEAMON

KSEAMON New Member

State:
    PERRY, GA
    Just saying... It works for me and my friends. Has not Changed my "luck" if anything, this is one of my best seasons!

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Three pennies in a bag,Folks here just fill a pint ziplock bag with plain water and hang it over the door,Dont know if it works or not,I use flystrips myself.:wink:

8. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    I couldn't agree more. One of the best things EVER marketed well worth ever penny.

9. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    Could be that it kills or covers other scents.

10. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    I had some one tell me that he takes bug spray, sprays it in his hand and then wipes it on his arms. He said he didn't want to spray it in the air because it wud get on his line and bait.Uhhh:confused2:
    I guess he dosn't use his hands to bait his hooks or to cast his rods out.:smile2:

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Deet will kill your bait fish in a new york minute....

12. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The most foolproof method I know is "stay in the house" and sometimes I ain't too sure about that. But, what's the fun in that?:smile2:

13. g3l33m

g3l33m Member

State:
    Pec, Illinois
    I'm a 1 percenter then. I read someone else's review on the Thermacell here and went and bought one and have had terrible results with it. Just today fishing I had it on the picnic table I was sitting on pretty much directly behind me and had gnats and mosquitoes all over me.:angry: Then I put some Off on and at least got rid of the mosquitoes.:confused2:

14. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Sounds like it was time to change the mat. If it's burning and there's a fresh mat in it it works. I've never heard otherwise. Make sure it's burning. It doesn't always come on with the first try, it can take several clicks to get it going.

Don't know if it's supposed to work on gnats but it definitely does on mosquitoes. I used to work at a hunting and fishing store and we sold hundreds of them and never heard anything negative, and there's a forum on our local DNR website where it gets nothing but praises.

I even put mine to the tests. I've waited until the mosquitoes were bothering me, turned it on, and they were gone within 5 minutes. I've had it in my tower box stands and seen mosquitoes hovering in the windows, but they would not come in.

15. g3l33m

g3l33m Member

State:
    Pec, Illinois
    I had changed the mat the night before and only had it on for roughly an hour that night. And I look in the little window at the end while lighting it until I see the filament start glowing. Plus I could see the "smoke" coming out of it.

I mostly bought it for the "in your face" gnats, which I'm thinking the first review I read said it would repel. Haven't had much luck with that either. If you ever see me fishing you'll know it's me because I'm waving my arms in the air and cussing like a sailor...covered in mosquito bites.:big_smile:

I did already catch a 2 pound channel this morning in between dodging mosquitoes though. (Wasn't there long enough to even mess with the Thermacell. Had so many things go wrong this morning I just said to heck with it.:sad2:)

16. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I get headaches from Deet, so I try to steer away from it if possible. That's why I was so excited when Thermocell came out. It has made fishing an whole new experience for me. Thermocell does have obvious limitations, of course. If the wind is enough to lesson it's effectiveness, then the wind is probably enough to keep the bugs off anyway. If the air is dead still, it doesn't disperse much either. In that case, I move it around a bit now & then. Does it work 100%? of course not. But it does work almost always and that is much better than having stinking bug spray all over you and getting on your bait & line an such. I had tried all the mentioned ideas in my quest to be bite free. None even came close to Thermocells effectiveness.

17. dkinney

dkinney New Member

State:
    missouri
    A Doctor recommended brewers yeast taken internally. He advises to keep your intake at less than 500 milligrams daily. It comes with some side effects and will adversely interact with certain meds.

18. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    First off, welcome to the B.O.C... Now, how many milligrams ya suppose is in a 12 oz. bottle of beer? :smile2: Nobody wants to OD...:wink:

19. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Thanks fer the tip Keith. I'll give it a try. But with all that listerine over ever thing, how can ya tell who farted.......
    :roll_eyes: