Stones River Areas In Tennessee

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by LiveWire, May 26, 2009.

1. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    Alright yall, I'm tired of bank fishing, having no luck and wading through all the trash people leave behind, so I'm dustin' off my 12 ft jon boat and gettin' it ready, but theres no way I'm gettin out in the middle of Priest lake with it! I'll have to stick to the upper end of the lake, mainly where east stones and west stones river feeds in. Has anyone spent much time fishing this area? If so, any clues about where to start? I live in this area, so thats why I'm focusing on it.

2. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    Hmmm, this isnt a good sign....guess no one fishes the stones for cats....oh well, I'm gonna try it anyway.

3. Travisfixit

Travisfixit New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Just wanted to pass along some info... Try Beef Spleen! It works as good if not better then liver! Full of blood and will stay on your hook the hole time you use it. :wink: The fish cant take it till they take your hook too.

4. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I fish all over the stones river. I'm going out tomorrow to do some fishing, but I'll be on the west for all they way on the other side of the interstate.

The mona boat ramp off of jefferson pke is a good place to start. Lots of trees in the water for the cats to hide. I've seen guys using nightcrawlers out there concentrating on the trees and having full stringers of 5-8 lb fish. It's slow enough there that you won't get run over by a 80 mph bass boat, but always look for the rogue water skiers. I've seen a couple not so smart people trying to wake board all the way back there.

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I fished down there for about an 1 hr without a nibble. Waiting for it to get dark to do some bow fishing. I couldn't find a carp or a gar. I think it's too deep or something. I was really surprised I remember a few years back and I would hit the water with a light and there would be dozens of them. Anyone have any good areas to suggest bowfishing for carp and gar around there or on old hick. I have seen them like I said before wondering if anyone else sees them a lot or maybe the water was just really high and muddy messing things up.

6. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I went out this morning with a friend and paddled around on a small jon boat this morning fishing for bass and bluegill and there were carp all over the place. I don't think I saw any that were under 5 lbs. We were on the upper side of the dam on the west fork of stones river off salem hwy just past I24. It looks like a river everywhere else except there and it looks like a big pond. I've seen gar all over the stones too. I saw a dead longnose up close to nice mill dam and it was 4 feet long if it was an inch. I've ran into schools of spotted gar close to the civil war monument off thompson lane here in the boro.

7. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    If you can catch Mona/Stones when there is alittle current flowing its usually some good fishing. When the water is low and no current, I usually come home empty handed. Ive fished that area ,putting in at mona, for years and have caught some decent fish. No monsters but some good eaters. Bream heads are always good bait.
    If you get out into some open water down toward the lake I have had excellent luck drifting fishing. If the wind is blowing too much dont try it. I have found a slow drift work the best. Jug fishing up in mona late in the eve should be good.
    I was talking to a diver that dives in priest. I asked him if he ever sees any giant catfish on the bottom and he told me yes. Most of the time he see them in 15 to 25ft of water just sitting in the bottom on a big rock. Below 15ft he said the visiblity opens up. He said he saw a car on the bottom of the lake and on the hood was a monster cat just sitting there waiting for something to swim by. He also said the tires/fish attractors that twra puts out are good places where they get up under and just sit and wait.
    Hope this helps. Thanks and good luck. Dont give up if you come home with nothing. Keep trying. They are in there.