stonecat help?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by greengoblin, May 15, 2008.

1. greengoblin

greengoblin New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Are stonecats any good for anything? How can I avoid them, stop them from biting on bait when fishing for channels? I can literally catch a dozen of these an hour, if i wanted to. Thanks for any advice. Great place you got here.

2. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Just what is a stonecat? Have never heard of one.

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree what is a stonecat I dont think I have ever heard of this type of fish I would help you out but I dont know anything about that type of fish sorry i cant help.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    if i am not mistaken a stonecat is a relative of the madtom, and has the real poison in the pectoral and dorsal spines. i read that they are bullhead sized, so maybe when you catch a bunch of them you could clip the spines and use them for flathead bait. to answer your question though, i think if you are having a problem with the little nuisance cats, you should change bait, upsize bait, or change location. i would definitely try using them little suckers as bait though!

oh yeah, welome to the boc!!!

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
  6. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Walleye and bass love the stonecats under a bobber. I'm sure the cats will eat them too. We never caught them too big, right around 4-5 inches in the shallow rocky water at night. We would lift up rocks to find them then coax them in to a coffee can painted black.