Stomach Contents of Catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by NCCatter, Apr 18, 2006.

1. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Just wondering what is the strangest thing you guys/gals have ever seen inside of a cat's stomach while cleaning them? I cleaned some this weekend and saw in a couple of them some stuff that looked like green vegetation. Almost looked like the grass, etc. that I find in deer. I make this a habit to look at stomach contents of everything I clean just to see what it's been eating. This practice has led me to many more game that I otherwise would not have gotten.

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hmmmm cant say that I have ever cut open the gut pouch, but interesting none the less. I vary rarely keep cats anyways, but Ill have too keep that in mind, but it does seem like more trouble than its worth....to me anyways.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    whenever i clean fish i ALWAYS cut open the stomachs to see what they have been feeding on. ive found hotdog chunks, french fries, crayfish, shad, gills, all kinds of crap. weirdest thigs ive found have been rocks, sticks, cigarette butts, in a 12lb channel i found some kind of animal fur, and in a 9lb channel i found the remains of about a a 1/2lb channel.

4. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Now we've got a new catfish bait-cigarette butts! Wonder if they prefer regular or menthols? LOL

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    now you might find this strange but it worked!....was out catching bait (green sunfish) a couple weeks ago when i ran out of waxworms. so, since they were pretty agressive i decided to pick up one of the many cigarette butts lying around and pinch off a peice of the foam to put on the hook. figured they'd hit it out of instict thinking it was a bug or something falling in, just had to be quick on the hookset. well, after trying several different peices i found they liked the menthol butts the best and would actually hold on to them! dont know if it was the tar, menthol, or whatever but the ones labeled "kool menthol" worked just as good, if not better than waxworms!

6. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    LOL. That is awesome. There's gonna be people out there picking up a whole lot of cigarette butts now! Menthols anyway...

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    hey dinkbuster1,i've also caught several bluegills on the cotton out of a cigarette butt,these fish weren't picky-or just had a bad craving and hit them like crazy.i had a lot of bait that day!!!

8. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Great now we are going to have a bunch of edgy fish who put on wieght because they are trying to stop. Guess I may have to see if Lucky Strike works.

9. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Now THAT is funny!

10. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I don't know about the stomach contents but I caught a 35lb yellowcat while he had a 5lb redfish stuck in his mouth. And YES I weighed them both. It took quite an effort to dislodge the redfish too.

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah now we are going to have fish with nicotine fits.dont get in the water or they will bite your ankles off.lol.I tell you what i start finding fish with there mouths out of the water with cigs in there mouth smoking im going to be making some money.

12. greenwing7

greenwing7 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    we caught a catfish in arkansas that had what apperared to be a beaver foot in its stomach, it was pretty weird, but we were pretty sure thats what it was

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Not weird, but impressive. Stomach stuffed full of clamshells. And you can tell when a cat's been eating them just by looking at its anus.

14. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

While not quite a catfish story...

Twice in my life; once when I was about 10 years old and then again about 4 years ago, I have liberated live crawdads from a frogs stomach.

When froggin' we always harvest the legs immediately and ice them. When I was a kid and then again when froggin' with my young nephews we would like to see what the frog had been eating, and it will startle the heck out of you to be poking a crawdad fresh from a frogs stomach and have it snap back to life!

Both crawdads were released to their pleasure.

15. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    A whole chicken drumstick.

16. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

LOL, that wasn't at Webber's Falls in OK was it? A few years ago a friend and I spent 27 hours straight on the water at Webbers with nothing but a small supply of bottled water and beer, and 30 pieces of fried chicken (it was 10 pieces for $2 and we were on a budget).

We never tried using a chicken leg for bait?

17. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I was there with the bean counter. It was wierd to see a cat with a drumstick in its belly. By far the strangest I have seen.

18. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    That funny the wierd thing I have ever found was A couple sinker from some stocked trout in the urban lakes

19. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    IF THE GREEN STUFFWAS GRASS I CAN NOW MOW MY BAIT CATCH WITH A THROW NET ,HAHAAHA I have foung about everything inside of fish even a bubber i had the day before.

20. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Years ago, when I mainly trout fished using a fly rod, I would always check the stomach contents of the first trout I caught. This helped me to indentify the main thing they were feeding on at the time, then I would go through my fly boxes and find something that looked somewhat like what they were feeding on. It certainly increased my catch ratio for the day. I seldom had an exact replica of anything, since, I always basically tied my flies to be suggestive of several different types of flies and/or nymphs. Which, cut down on the number of flies and nymphs I would have to carry with me. As the years progressed, I narrowed things down to around 6 "suggestive" patterns that usually worked for me on almost any small trout stream. Thus, I did not have to take "forever" trying to decide what I would put on next, if they were not hitting what I started with.

The craziest or funniest thing I ever got out of a trout's stomach were some caddis case nymphs (I did not know what they were at the time). All I knew was that this one trout had all these funny shaped gravel formations in his stomach. Well, I washed them off and put them in a plastic dish and sat the dish on an end table next to my recliner. Well, at the time I had just started trying to study a bit of entomology, concerning the bugs that trout ate. And, I sat down that night and started reading about caddis flies. Well, in the process of reading, I started hearing a scraping sound once in a while. But, I could not tell where it was coming from. Well, at some point, I happened to look into the plastic dish I had but those gravel formations in, and, low and behold they were moving. There was a little larvae (still alive)in each gravel formation and they were crawling around, dragging their gravel formation home along with them. Thus, I had my first encounter with a caddis case nymph and learned what they were.