Stolen?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by craigr, May 30, 2006.

1. craigr

craigr New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Alright folks, I've got a long story here.

Several years ago, I owned a bought with a good friend. I owned the boat & he the motor. A mid 70s Merc 40 hp, pull start & Tiller. He was up there in age, & I ended up buying his half of this outfit from him. He has since died of old age & was a VERY honest man.

I used the boat many years, then finally passed it down to my oldest son.
    My son has recently picked up a electric start Merc 20hp w/steering. So, he sold the 40hp to someone off the web.

The motor does not have any serial #'s on it. The place where they should be is very smooth, no grinding marks.

When I had it, I wanted to put an electric start on it, but wasn't sure of the exact model, so I posted a message on here and on iboats.com to try to figure out what model it was. I got responses from both sites that Mercury produced motors in the 70s that didn't have any serial numbers on them and that it is tough to find parts unless you know the exact model motor you have. Some suggested looking on the part that attaches to the transom, I didn't find anything there, so I just gave up & bought a new boat & motor.

The guy that bought the motor for 200 dollars was shown that it has no serial numbers & was okay with it. He has determined that it is a short shaft & now he can't use it on his boat. He said he took it to his local mechanic & another guy and they told him that they are 100% sure it's stolen.

So, again what do you guys think?

Can I email Mercury and get some kind of explanation from them?

craigr

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I doubt you will find any thing out from any merc corp because so many were made in Canada and Australia,and the US Also merc has swapped owners a lot and most likely the records are all gone to. I haven't heard of any motor made in the 70's that didn't have the numbers on them. I have seen a few in my life time that had the numbers missing for one reason or another.
    As for being stolen I would say he is trying to get his money back. This is my opinion.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yeah, tell him to shut his face or you'll report him for being in possession of stolen property. YE HAWWWWW that'll shut him up. If in doubt, take it to a law enforcement agency. They'll find our if it was stolen or not.

4. craigr

craigr New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Well, we haven't heard from him for a few days, so I'm guessing it's over.

Too bad it had to get like this, he got a great deal. He will probably end up selling it to someone else for closer to what it is worth.

Thanks for all of the replies,
    craigr

5. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Buyer's remorse. Gotta love it. That's why i got out of the retail business. The whole dern world thinks everybody is wal-mart & they don't have to be responsible for a decision to buy.

$200 for a 40hp merc? Heck, if he does want his money back, and it runs well, give me a holler. I might want the motor for that kind of money!!!

Jerrod