Stolen bait and fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by x smokin joe, Jun 7, 2008.

1. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I went limb lining at charles Mill 2 weeks ago and waited till now to post because I was so pissed.
    Started out a good trip. We spent the afternoon catching bait. Between a buddy and me we had 56 lines out, not the 100 we were allowed. We finished setting our lines about sunset and pulled the boat and was fishing a different part of the lake. We fell asleep around 4 in the morning and slept till about 10. Made it back on the water by 11 in the boat to check lines. Every line we put out was empty, no bait, no fish. As this has never happened before all I can think is someone stole the fish or took the baits off. I know there are a lot of people who don't like limb liners but that does not give anyone a right to touch my gear. All our gear was properly made and tagged so there was no mistake about it. GPS coordinates to each line so it couldn't get lost. For those who don't like liners or the way we fish, tough luck, its legal. I sure hope it wasn't anyone here who would do something like that. I did see some guys with cast nets and they were watching where we were going. Just a freindly warning, If anyone sees my gear and messes with it, and I see you do it and can get your boat number, expect a visit from the sherrif or game warden. I am enjoying a lawful way to fish and if you mess with my gear you are violating Ohio's right to hunt and fish laws. In 20 years of lining I have never had every hook empty of bait and fish, there is always something on some of the hooks.
    Now the good part, I got shut out that night with rod and reel, but one of my freinds I was with caught a nice one. I had a good run and the fish got off about 20 ft from the bank. We weighed hers on her scale and it said was a 25 lber but I think her scale was wrong.

Attached Files:

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    The first part sucked, but at least your friend caught a nice fish.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I enjoy setting some lines myself sometimes, but it sounds like you waited too long to go back and check your lines. Let's face it. the world is not honest! People see a fish bouncing on a line, they are going to check it out. I always try to check my lines within 1 hour of sunrise. That is the best bite anyway so why wait. Just my advice. Congrats on a good fish.

4. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    nice fish shes got there.yeah,that sucks about the lines,though

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thats not right!

6. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Set the lines with dynamite.....bet you'll find out who it was then!:wink:

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    dynamite might be a good technique. Perhaps I will give it a try.

8. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I have run into the same deal when I set out my trap line during the season. Some people have the "my way or no way" attitude. I hope they get caught some day.

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sorry to hear about that joe. theres nothin worse than a thief:angry: rollo

10. KatfishKyle

KatfishKyle New Member

State:
    Wayne Co. Ohio
    Sorry to hear that, I have a strong hatred for theifs! I fish Charles Mill a lot and I have run into a lot of shady people around that area. Nice flattie tho!

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Sorry to hear about the loss of fish and bait. Sounds sort of like a PETA doings myself. Naw they wouldn't do that they'd just cut the lines.
    However the second part of the story is nice. Nice fish she is holding there.At least it wasn't a totol loss.Next time put your lines out then watch them from an unseen area ,just maybe you'll catch the person or person's who done that. Then it's Hank Jr Time. (Attutide Adjustment.)

12. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Man that sucks dude ,but there are people out there that dont agree with the legal way of fishing is ok as long as its legal. They want to impose their way of thinking on everyone,Even though its none of their dang buisness. I agree with the others hide and watch em and beat the crap out of the jugheads that are doing it. I bet they wont do it again.:wink: If you limb line,jug fish,noodle,paylake or private lake you aint as good as them, They are a few of those guys around. Hang in there and keep on fishing its the law and its legal !!!!!:big_smile::wink: Nice fish your friend caught! Good luck on your next trip and keep us posted.

13. WhiskerWacker

WhiskerWacker Active Member

State:
    Pa
    Maybe you could try to use one of those game cameras that are motion activated. Hide it near your lines, that may help you catch the idiot that did it.

14. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Forgot to tell more about the fish she has. It was caught on a 5 inch bluegill fished on the bottom. Not sure what water temp was, no thermometer.Water depth was transitional from deeper water, 12 ft to 2 ft at bank. When she hooked it she guessed 6-7 pounds, until it got about 10 ft from the bank. Then all hell broke loose. I would guess she was in about 4-6 ft when hooked and about 20 ft from bank.
    As for my lines, from now on I'll do a lot better job of hiding them. What really sucks is I drove 130 miles to go back where I was raised to fish with buddies and set lines to get ideas on where and what to use for bait. I make 3 or 4 trips a summer for a weekend of fishing and it bites when the first one is screwed like that. We always release our fish after pics. I don't know if there were fish that were kept or if they were released, hopefully the latter.
    The line I put in there about hope it was no one here, I wasn't thinking members. We all know about the lurkers that just read whats posted to get spots to fish without ever contributing a thing, that who I meant. Hope no one took offence to that part as it looked different than what I was thinking.

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    That sucks Joe!!! I hate a liar and a thief!!! I hope you can find out who did it and give them some 'Rough Justice' like they deserve!
    Your friend did catch a very nice Cat though! Not a total loss but enough to pi$$ you off!!!:angry:
    Better luck next time Bro!!!:wink::big_smile:

16. roostermandave

roostermandave New Member

State:
    Cypress Bayou, ARKANSAS
    thief and a lier,thats sounds to me like someone is just wanting to swing from a tree? suxs to hear that buddy,but i agree with the other brothers maybe you waited to long,or perhaps some one did rob you.

17. BIGcatjakeJR

BIGcatjakeJR New Member

State:
    ohio
    where did she catch that one at in charles mill

18. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Charles Mill is the closest you will get from me where it was caught. It's a big lake so take your time and learn the lake, better than asking for my spot.

19. Vukhufu

Vukhufu New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Some people simply have no morals or dignity whatsoever. Its really sad and I'm sorry you got took. Its things like this that solidify the fundamental reasoning behind my self proclaimed misanthropy!

100 limb lines is legal!? ... Loop to first paragraph!

20. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    50 per person, 2 of us in the boat = 100 lines.