Stoeger side by side

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by wylie catter, Oct 16, 2008.

1. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have a stoeger uplander that I've used just for dove hunting the past few years. But I'm thinking about carrying it deer hunting this weekend. Its capable of shooting 3 inch shells. There's no chance of 3 inch buckshot hurting the gun is there?

2. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Any modern shotgun is capable of handling factory ammo. As long as its chambered for 3 inch shells it should be good. Id take it out and see what kind of pattern it throws on paper at what yardage so you dont end up chasing cripples though.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    What he said:wink:

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Does it have the screw in choke or just plain bore?

5. 54ball

54ball New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have an uplander that I have used for dove an once for deer. I belive mine has one bbl modified the other improved cylinder. I'm sure some are different with different chokes such as full/full, modified/full, ect.
    The gun will handle all factory shot shells. As with all guns from the smallest derringer to a 16" naval rifle they need to be shot or sighted in to develop the best most accurate load.
    I like to replicate real world shots as best I can. For a shot gun or smoothbore I want to make sure enough shot has hit the vital area for a clean kill and the range its most effective. Also I feel a shotgun is an off hand weapon thats good for "quick" shots so I would not use a rest.
    A paper plate is a makes good sized target. It is about the same size as the heart and lung area of a deer. As long as enough shot hits the target and does it shot after shot you know you have a good load. This also builds confidence in your gun and your shooting. It will also tell you if that Uplander will make good deer shotgun. I think you will find and its also a good rule of thumb that a shot gun with shot is good and clean to 50 yards at the maximum with 25-30 being the "bread and butter". Do not forget about 2 & 3/4 inch shells. You may find they actually put more shot in the kill zone. Bigger is not always better. This also goes for shot size too. The bigger the shot size the fewer shot you have.
    I would buy a few boxes of buckshot in different sizes in 2 & 3/4 and 3 inch shells and spend some time shooting to find how good and where that Uplander shoots.

6. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    There not screw ins. One is imp and the other is mod.