Stockton Lake Catfishing Update

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Army Guy, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Army Guy

Army Guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just thought I'd let everyone know how my catfishing trip Friday at Stockton Lake (Yes... you are reading right... I did say catfishing at Stockton). :wink: We caught ten total channel cats. Two were 8-10lb range, while the rest was 2-3 (good eating size). It was a great day with a good breeze.

We drifted in 30ft water. However, we got a late start, our hooks hit the water around noon. We finished up around 9pm. Not bad, just over one fish a hour. It seemed the bites came in spurts. In fact, both of the bigger ones where hooked at the same time. We used fresh cut shad for bait. Bait may be hard to find but I'm going to try nightcrawlers next time.

It was a fun trip and I plan on going back soon. :smile2:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good report, thanks for posting. Sounds like a nice day on the water, congrats and good luck in the future

3. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Nightcrawlers, will work, and you will probley come up with some walleye.
    Have fished Stockton, and using nightcrawlers for walleye, have caught channels.
    JIM

4. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    sounds like a pretty good day on the water.

5. Army Guy

Army Guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We went again two days ago and caught 7 channels in just a few hours. Drifting has been working for us rather well. We kept some and fried them yesterday... they was D-liscious!!! I suspect we will go sometime soon again.

Also, for you White Bass fisherman... we went yesterday and caught our limit. Plus, we hooked a few Large Mouth and a couple Walleye. Fishing was so good... we are going back today!

6. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    sounds like u and ur family having a great time together catching fish thats awsome :big_smile::big_smile: just dosnt get anybetter then that and u catching nices ones also way to go guys at getting er done :wink:

7. Army Guy

Army Guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Scott... it has been fun. We decided (even though we had great success yesterday with the White Bass) to go catfishing instead. :eek:oooh:

It was a good choice. We kept a dozen mostly small (2-5lbs) but we were certainly entertained. Catching much more. Honestly... I barely had time to sit much. We only fishing for 5 hours but it was a exciting 5 hours. :smile2::smile2:

I'm determined to prove that some "big" cats are in Stockton. I am exploring different locations to do so. So far... not much luck with big ones. I have yet to catch a Blue or a Flattie. Biggest Channel was approx. 10-12lbs (no scale).

I have been drifting... I may try to anchor next time. Might even chum a bit.

8. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    yes chumming is a great way to get them i used a 5 gallon buckets and drilled many many holes in it around 1/2 inch and I filled it with cheap hog pellets then left enough room for a 2 litter bottle then snaped the lid on and tried to suspend it around 5 ft off the botton tie a wieght to the bucket with a 5 ft rope then use a jug that will reach the surface so u can keep adding feed and shake it everytime to u go fishin . if you can find shad easy they will work awsome also smashed up i used a meat grinder once but it takes awhile to grind all the shad up . seemed about the 3 day and then on the fished had found it . i used old burlap sacks before but i liked the buckets the best easier to fill and easier to empty when i was done fishing that spot .

let me know how u do :wink: and gl

9. Army Guy

Army Guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here are a couple pics of yesterdays catch. We caught much bigger last week. I couldn't load attachments... so try these links... Let me know if they don't work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Looks like a lot of fun. I've catfished on Stockton quite a few times and never really had any luck. Would you mind sharing what's been working for you?

11. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    nice pics great job guys those channels can fight good :wink:

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Nice channel cats David. Have you tried useing nightcrawlers yet, just wondering if you have been getting any walleyes while your drifting if you have.

13. Army Guy

Army Guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We've been drifting 25-30ft water. I used a three-way swivel with a 6-8 inch bait leader and a 6-8 inch sinker leader. I would not use a cork to raise the bait... I have not caught any that way yet. We have been using small shad and putting two to a hook (been having trouble locating large shad).

Also, I would use stiff rods if possible... our softer tipped spinning rods have not been doing as well. I think they are "jerking" the bait too hard. Overall all... We've been landing one fish per hour on average. Nothing real fancy... just plain ole driftin'.

Hope this helps... I'll keep ya posted if I land any "big" ones. :wink:

14. Army Guy

Army Guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Tried nightcrawlers once... and did not catch anything on them (walleye or catfish). I am going to try again next time. We did catch some on crankbait on a couple points. :wink: