Stocking up on sinkers!

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Catfishboy1995, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Well guys im ithcing to go fishing tomarrow if it dont rains..and i was doing "inventory" and I found out i have 221 no-rolls i poured ans 66 bank sinkers poured and i have about 25 more lbs of sinker at my friends house and i still have a little bit more lead like 4lbs maybe And i plan on pouring ALOT more..I dont dare to count my hooks WAY WAY to many to count!!!!

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Richard!! Wish you could of made it to our Lead Pouring Party. WE probably poured off over 200lbs. of lead yesterday. It was really a learning experience for myself. 1st timer! LOL! Anyhow, good luck fishing to ya. Never know, it could happen, those cats might be on their winter feeding habits right now.

3. Bigben

Bigben New Member

State:
    southcentral,ky
    i just ordered a melting pot it's a Lee Production Pot has any one used this one is it worth 49.99
    any way where i live they dont have any round river sinkers i looked all over so i decided to make my own
    i'm new to melting so any info would be dandy i wanted to go to the lead pouring party so i could see how it was done but the wife had other plans instore for me lol.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    bigben, my Dad just gave me his lee pot a few days ago, to borrow. heres a tip he gave me. if you raise up the mold closer to the pour spout, with a board, or what my dad uses[2.5 inch deep baking sheet turned upsidedown] the lead tend to pour smoothly. the more the drop, the lead can start to cool to quickly and bugger the pour. close the distance and the lead will enter the mold still molten.

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    1. be sure your molds are preheated[hot] before pouring.

2. Try to get the mold as close to the production pot spout as possible.

6. Bigben

Bigben New Member

State:
    southcentral,ky
    great info thanks aloy guys

7. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I have the $50 one from cabelas..It holds aroun 10lbs of lead..I love it it has increased productivity by well over 100% considering my ladle was my melting pot too...Just the probleme is it dont take long to empty it when your pouring 2-8 oz sinkers..But like every one said..I put the spout in the hole on the mold and count 1 second more that the weight of the isnker EX. (5 oz i count to 6 seconds) and it is filled up to the top of the spru hole...But you wil have to count and figure out how long it takes your melter to fill up your mold cavity.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ben if your working with raw lead (wheel weights), you need to melt it in a pan over a turkey fryer or a camp stove, and dip off the slack, before putting it in the fine Lee Pot. Check out the members library when you get time for other lead melting ideas.

9. Bigben

Bigben New Member

State:
    southcentral,ky
    Will do thanks alot

10. Littlejoe

Littlejoe New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    My fishing buddy got one of those little handheld melting pots and has done about 180 pounds of lead into bank sinkers from 1/4 to 1 1/2 ounce. So we are stocked up on those for a lifetime or so. Now I have to get some different molds for him while he is still productive.