Stocking size flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Biscuit, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Biscuit

Biscuit New Member

State:
    Va
    anyone know where i could order some or get any, thanks

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Try contacting your state department of natural resources or whatever they call it in Va. Don't be surprised, though, if no body has them. A lot of people think of flatheads as a potentially problematic introduced species and are very careful about spreading them to new waters.

3. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

yes, more than likely if you find some one out of state to sell you some, you will be wise to aply to your local fish and wildlife agency for importation or stocking permits. in many states they are baned compleately. and some you used to not be able to release them alive after catching.

4. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Try your local county agent...He should be able to turn you on to what's happening about the flathead buisness in Va...I read an article that the state of Va and NC stocked flatheads to cut down and improve the "sunfish" population....Dwight

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Flatheads aren't on the list of aquaculture species for NC. That doesn't mean that the state doesn't have some, but I doubt that they would go around handing these out for stocking a private body of water. Like someone already said, they are a very predatory fish and could cause some problems if released into the wrong environment. I would just contact the state and they'll fill you in on everything you need to know.

6. Biscuit

Biscuit New Member

State:
    Va
    BUMP IT UP,,, cannot find a source for flats no where on the net..

7. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  8. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Chris I dont know about ordering or any other info but here in southwest ohio Midwest Cedar Fish Farm has Flatheads.513-575-0124.

9. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Biscuit,

You'll probably have to catch em and release them into your pond....I would catch as many males and females as I possibly could and turn em loose....But come spring, I would try to catch em out....Otherwise, you might get overstocked.....Dwight

10. ohiorivercat

ohiorivercat New Member

State:
    kentucky
  11. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Some one was telling me that the U.S. Army Corp. of Engineers does that kind of thing but I haven't checked it out.