Stocking flathead and blue catfish...cant find them

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Biscuit, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Biscuit

Biscuit New Member

State:
    Va
    i have some pond stockers come to my town but they only have chennels, does anyone know where i could get flatheads or blues cats?

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    you might find some bluecats if you keep looking for fish farmers but the only way you will get flatheads is to catch them yourself.arkansas game and fish com.said that it was money thrown away to try and raise flats.they start to eat each other in a very short time after hatching.

3. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    not sure where you can find them. but if you do find some flats keep the pond stocked with perch to keep them fed or they will eat each other. I know guy who successfully stocked his ponds with flathead. They are over 50 lbs now.

4. catman lo

catman lo New Member

State:
    north carolina
    As these other guys have said, flatheads will clean out your pond in a hurry. I remember reading an article in IN-Fisherman were a guy had a good channel cat pond nad put 3 flatheads in it. In a year he had 3 big flatheads starving to death. If you want some big fish try a commercial fisherman (cat fisherman that is) and ask him what he'd charge for some live fish. It will probably be by the pond and around here that is 85 cents. My partners and I used to sale live fish (blues and channels) to folks stocking ponds. The only time we sold flatheads was for a special purpose like keeping small carp in a carp lake in check.

By the way I do not recommend the practice. It just seems cruel to me to take a big fish out of a huge river system were he's been for 20 years and put him in some farm pond. I'm reformed now, well, mostly :wink:

5. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I have also heard you dont want to put any flats in a pond because they eat ecverything in site. I think blues would be ok dont know for sure. Welcome to the boc Good luck

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Flatheads got a bad rap, of cleaning ponds out.

7. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I love flatheads in a pond, just not too many. They keep the crappie and bream from over populating and taking over the pond. Before I put flatheads in our ponds the crappie and bream way over populated and stunted, you could catch 100's of them but all we small. A couple of years after put'n a few flat's in there we catch 1/2 pound bream and 1 1/2 -2 pound crappie regularly. Keeps it in balance. We have bream, crappie, channel cat, bass and flatheads in the ponds, before the flatheads the bass and channels just couldn't keep up with the bream and crappie. We've got a 6 acre, a 3 acre and a couple of 1 acre ponds, I try to put 3 to 4 flatheads to about each acre of water, seems to be about right.

8. g.kempf

g.kempf New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I put a 12 inch flattie in my 1.5 acre farm pond about 6 years ago. Dont know if he made it or what. I've tried to catch him for about 2 years and I havent had any luck.

9. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Great Info Sam! Thanks!

10. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Samh, I believe has it right.

I did find on place that sold Flathead Fingerlings but that was 2 yrs ago (in TN?) through a Google Search and it was buried there.

Best just catch one fer ea pond.

Buscuit, I thought u did not like to hear about Flats eattin other Cats????????

:beat_shot:

11. Biscuit

Biscuit New Member

State:
    Va

Fish have to eat fish to live, i have no problem with that, thats just the way it is, i just dont like to use bullhead for bait is all i said, i know flats eat bullheads, i just dont think ill use them for bait, u guys go ahead, i have no problem with it., ill just catch some small flats, and put in it, i would not take a huge flat out of it enviroment,sp?? thats just wrong. not putting them in ponds by the way, river..

12. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Biscuit

Sorry about the way I posted that....should have read your post better, thought I read where there were Channels in the ponds plus I should have ended my post with a LOL.

If u need me to locate Flat Fingerlings fer ya just PM me Plz.

Nice to have u aboad Biscuit.

:too_sad:

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Seems as though I remember some posts about one of the eastern states having quite an uproar because someone stocked or rather placed some flatheads in one of their river systems. The states position were flatheads were depleting the growth of other species and were considered a nuisance. There was, if I remember correctly, an ordnance that stated if a flathead was caught it could not be returned to the water. Do any others remember this thread?

14. Biscuit

Biscuit New Member

State:
    Va
    this river system is suppuse to have flatheads in it, if it does its miles and miles down river, so it should be alright.

15. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    One other thing about flatheads in a pond, I've never seen any evidence of them reporducing. Even in the 6 acre pond thats got lots of cover and places they could, they've been in it for 8+ years. I don't know why, but they just don't seem to reporduce in a pond. So what you put in is what you have, less what's caught out. In one pond that was full of bait fish with no bass or other catfish, we put twenty 1 to 3 pound flatheads, they grew about 5 pounds a year.

16. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    They recommend keeping all flats caught from a river in georgia because it was illegally stocked and they are taking it over.

17. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here's what I think. Lets say you find some flats, and put them in the river, assuming that there already exists a flathead population, I think that they will just move to the greener pastures that the others have found. The DNR can introduce, or repeatedly introduce a native species to an ecosystem, but "stocking" a river or creek is for the most part impossible, at least from the perspective of an angler wishing to have an opportunity to catch the fish he released there. If the fish don't want to stay there, they don't have to. Just a thought.