Stocking Cats Into An Established Pond

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by festus, Jan 1, 2010.

1. festus

festus New Member

My girlfriend works at a business with a 4 acre pond. Maximum depth 18' to 20', it was dug and stocked in 1991. It's fed by two small feeder branches. The population of bream and bass are well balanced. I've seen several bass over 5 lbs. and have caught plenty of bream from 8" to 10", biggest was 11". There are 7 sterile grass carp in there at least 20 pounds, but they haven't destroyed all the vegetation. I caught one largemouth last spring over 5 lbs. There are supposed to be catfish in there. The first few years after it was stocked, the employees would throw out bread from the dock and there were catfish coming from every direction chomping down on the bread. I only managed to catch one catfish out there in 2009, a 4 pounder. And the catfish don't come to the bread they throw out anymore, but the grass carp and bream do.

My question is as much as I've fished there, shouldn't I have caught more than one channel? I've never fished there at night, but have permission. I'm considering offering to pay to stock the pond with channel cats, but do you think I should wait until next spring or summer and try to night fish some before I make the decision?

2. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I think you should cut up some of those gills first or try some secret 7 first then make your decision. Hell even some glow worms should do the trick on Channels or some minnows (cut up jumbos or live mediums always worked on channels for me. Hotdogs, shrimp, etc I dont think I've ever fished anywhere and not caught channels on all the baits I just named. Didnt mean to insult you if you've already tried them. Good luck bro

3. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, I've tried cut strips of bluegill fillets, but the only thing I've caught on them is small largemouths while reeling in for a bait check. Also tried live tuffie minnows about 3" and catch nothing but bass and bluegill. Have also used large shiner minnows about 6" long fished live and dead, but still only catch bass on those. Also have tried nightcrawlers, even threaded two and three to a hook and catch nothing but gills and bass. There is a small paddleboat there, but I never use it because I can cast to just about any point in there with a 3 ounce sinker. I tried some cooked shrimp once, but have yet to try raw shrimp. Have also tried live crawdads--same results, bass and bluegill. The 4 lb. channel I caught was on of all things some homemade strawberry jello/cornmeal/flour/sugar doughball leftover from a carp fishing trip at a nearby dam. :roll_eyes:

Maybe the reason the catfish don't come to the bread that is thrown out there is because they have become more wary?? Or maybe there's not very many in there. There has been no evidence anyone of any poachers or nightfishermen in there. There are only two other folks who fish this pond, the president of the company and one of his friends. They don't keep any of the fish. The only time I keep any is occasionally I'll keep no more than 2 or 3 gills to take to the dam for catfishing.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  4. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    I'd at least try night fishing a couple of times first.

5. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I am a faithful believer in Skipjack. I would try Skipjack in the pond and maybe some liver. I would say that if you are trying this time of the year in a pond that was stocked with channels your efforts would be fruitless this time of the year. Try early May with these baits and let them sit all night and see what happen. Good luck !!!!!!!!!!

6. festus

festus New Member

I will try skipjack, shad, prepared baits, and some more live bait, but I will wait until next spring. This pond is located within 3 miles of a dam with good fishing. Usually I fished the pond when action at the dam was slow, or just to catch bluegill for catfish bait at the dam. I fished the pond for the first time last March, most of spring, parts of summer, then again from Sept. to November. Caught gobs of big bream and largemouth bass on live bait and artificials.

One day a friend hooked into something while we were fishing for bluegill on worms. It was stripping line from his spinning reel and made a long run towards a steep bank. Suddenly his line went slack. He started reeling it in thinking he had busted is line. But he noticed the fish was still on, running straight toward us. His line went slack again, but this time he just became unhooked. My friend had hooked one of the big grass carp a few days before about 20 lbs. and he thought this fish was much bigger than that. Does that sound like a catfish fight??