Stocking a river

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Creteus, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I've got a river behind my house. Its more or less wet lands. the river is bout 50' across and it splits numerous times to rejoin itself further down. Its not very deep maybe 4' at its deepest. There are log jams everywhere. The only thing I've caught in it are little bluegills. What I'm thinking is when we go to the lake to fish to bring back two or three cats each time and put in the river. They would only be able to go down steam a few miles for there is a dam the water spills over. Figure in a year of two there may be enough to get on there own way. I've never seen anyone fishing the river so they probably wouldn't get to much resistance in reproducing. Is this a rediculose idea or could it work. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Or just tell me if I've completely lost my mind. Thanks

Matt

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    My first question would be, How far could they go upstream?
    Do you live in southern Ga? I ask this because of the weather difference between the two parts of the state. Being shallow water it would be hard to get a catfish population started in colder winter conditions not to mention that it is loaded with bluegill. Bluegill will eat up the eggs before they could hatch Unless you are going to put flatheads in it, but they need deeper water to survive. You also need to check and see what your state regs say about stocking this river. Check and see if Flatheads and Blues are indiginous to the system before you take action. If they are it wouldn't hurt to try.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I looked up and traced your watershed on TerraServer.If I got it right,your whole area drains into the Altamaha river.You should have cats and bullheads at the least.Your area has gone through some very dry times in the past.Also you are near the upper end of that watershed.It may have dried up at one,or more times.The larger the stock,the better chance with predators,and the sooner you will have repreduction.You may not have the proper habitat for certian fish.Turkey Branch in Effingham county Georgia (around and above) Ga.hwy.21,has been stocked with Channel cats several times,due to floods washing out and flooding stocked ponds.Channel cat fishing is good at first and then tapers off to nothing.Aprox.20 miles downstream (as the creek wanders) it dumpts into the Savannah river,which is full of Channel cats.Same with the Ogeechee creek,off of the Ogeechee river,which has plenty of chanels.Before stocked ponds and floods,channel cats were extremely rare up in the black water creeks of the Ogeechee and Savannah rivers.Plenty of bullheads.I have fished this area for 50 years,and it is the same.Before stocked ponds,we had floods,but no channels,or anything but bullheads,which are fine eating.I loved runing cat(Bullhead) lines and fishing these creeks during summer visits with my grand parents.I later moved to and still am in the area.peewee-williams

4. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Ok first things first, here is the law regarding what you are asking for the State of Georgia.

It is unlawful to release any wildlife, including fish or exotic fish, within this state except under permit from the Georgia Department of Natural Resources. This does not apply to the stocking of legally possessed fish into private ponds.
    It is unlawful to move fish from one body of water to another.
    Do not release bait fish alive! Dispose of bait fish, such as blueback herring, shad, and golden shiners, so they cannot enter a stream, pond, or lake.

With that said I would strongly advise against it as it is illegal to do so with out the proper permit from the DNR here in Georgia.

5. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Why dont you contact your DNR and asked them if they will stock it you never know they could be more than willing to do so.

6. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Thanks Jim. I didn't know it was illegal to move fish around. I guess its obvious though. The DNR don't want people to throw off the balance.
    And Johnson I may just give it a try. Never know right.

Matt

7. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Matt I hope they will give you the proper paper work but I would much prefer see them tell you yes or no than give you a big fine if youÂ’re caught. I do hope they say yes I honestly do not see much harm as the fish are already in that river but if they are not in that part of the river then maybe there is some reason for it, like the water getting to hot for them in the summer or something like that.