Stocking a pond with catfish?

Discussion in 'Pond Fishing' started by spcmitchell28, Apr 15, 2008.

1. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    I have a pond that I am interested in stocking catfish in. I currently have bass and a few bluegills in it, and was just wondering if it would sustain blues or flatheads? I am not worried about the bass, so im sure the cats would have something to eat. My only concern has been that it is not a very large pond and I dont know how flatheads and blues would do in a enclosed area.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Troy, I tried stocking a small pond with channels and blues a few years back. The channels did OK, never caught a blue from it. To shorten the story, after it went dry and I made it deeper, rain came and stocked with nothing but channels. They are now up to about 3#. And they have spawned, I've got some smaller ones than were put in there. There are some gills in it and are doing well. I've had old timers tell me that if you put a flat in there, you're going to end up with less of others and a large flathead. The pond I've got is about 30 yards by 70 yards and varying from 2-15' deep. Hope this helps.

3. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    It really depends on how big the pond is and your going to need a lot of bluegill stocked in there because the flatheads and blues will eat everything as they grow. Also you have to watch out for water oxygen problems so your lake doesnt turn over because I know blues dont do well if the water does not have a lot of oxygen where as flathead and channels do better.

4. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    my pond is about 30 yards by 30 yards, I would love to stock a couple flats and blues. I am not concerned with the other fish in there. Im just worried that the blues and flats would eat up all the smaller fish and then starve to death:eek:oooh:

5. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I am more apt to say, with my very minimal knowledge of small ponds, to just stick with the channels. Flatheads will really tear up what fish population you have.

6. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    your probly right, I just fantasize about walking 100yards from the house to get into some huge flats.lol. I also dont know how well flats would do in there, cuz the water is crystal clear and I know most flats are caught in muddier water.

7. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I had several 8+ pound channels, and pound and a half Hybrid Bluegills before last years drought. If your wanting them just for the fun of fishing, throw in some big channels, and fish them with ultra light or fly equipment, it can be a blast.

8. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    If I were you i would stock Channels and bull heads. They do well in low oxygen level water. The channels can handle fairly shallow water. The blues probably need deeper water than channels blues or flattys. Hope this helps some. Good luck on making a decision on what to plant.

9. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    if you had agood shad population in the pond maybe you could sastain some flaties
    here where i live we have a 5acre pond full of shad and the flaties we put in havnt hurt the population much

10. Jambal

Jambal New Member

State:
    Overseas - Indonesia
    Have you ever thought of stocking it with tropical cats and other predatory fish? You can put giant mekong catfish (it grow to 200Kg in the wild) and the fight it puts up is comparable to giant trevally from the salt water. There is also another predatory fish that in Asia is considered as the great white of the fresh water: the giant snakehead or Toman. If you put two of this fish in a pond you'll end up with only this two fish but they turned into giants. Both fish the tropical cats and snakehead are tough fish and thrive in worse water condition (low level of O2). The snake head is known to walk from one pond to another nearby pond to search for food or water.
    When breed, Toman looks after their fry and will attack human invading their nesting area. In case you have not seen any of the two fishes I mentioned, i'm attaching pics of them. Picture with teeth is the Toman the others are giant meekong catfish in Thailand.

Attached Files:

11. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    i dont think stocking any body of water with snakeheads is a good idea. like you said they wont just stay in the pond an before you know it they will have ever body of water around invaded it may not even be legal :eek:oooh:

12. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    I thought those catfish were endangered?:crazy:

13. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    put 6 blues and and 6 flats in that pond along with plenty of breeder sized crappie, gills and fatheadminnows (better hurry) and feed the blues pellets... it'll be self maintaining by this time next year .

14. oklahoma caveman

oklahoma caveman New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    um yea the snakehead species is considered extremely invasive and illegal to stock ANYWHERE

15. Jambal

Jambal New Member

State:
    Overseas - Indonesia
    I'm sorry I didn't know that it was illegal in the US ... too bad, it will make a good game fish. Put up a very good fight and it is known to break line of much ticker then the intended use for the fish size. My friend once used a 30lb line and hooked a Toman of roughly 8-10 lb and the line broke after 5-10 mins fight.
    But Asian catfish can sure be an alternative. Our Jambal or Pangasius catfish (like the one I hold) is one of the catfish that really put up good fight and it can grow very big. Don't worry this type is not aggressive like the snakehead and can be caught using doughball, jackfruit, palm seed .. much like carp.
    One other catfish (this is very rare now ... even in our area), the helicopter catfish or local name Tapah.
    Just trying to introduce you with alternatives ... game fish alternative.:smile2:

16. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    best to stick with channels

17. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Flatheads and blues are top of the food chain unless you have an river otter they will grow according to surface area and food supply if your pond isnt two acres your really not giving them a chance to do well. Id stay with channels and add some crappie.

18. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    channel catfish all the city ponds i fish they stock channels stick to channel catfish rick

19. youngbuck

youngbuck New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i say stick with channels

20. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We stocked two of our stockponds[watering holes] for cattle with fathead minnows and hybred bluegills along with a few channels. they all did great here ,till the big drought a few years back.