stocking a pond with blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Sep 19, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    we decided to give it a try, me and mrflathead, some say they need oxagen and current to live but i disagree,there are ponds in places full of blues not channels, im going to do this with flatheads and blues, we got a big pond

2. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Here we go again, lol.

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Just a few words, "I hope it works for ya bro."

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You are wrong and those people are right..Blues are big river fish and require current to survive..The pond I've been working with has blues and it has 3 pumps that move the water and 2 underwater aerators..I hope those fish make it but without the proper equipment in the pond to move the water they will surely not make it..:sad2:

5. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    The flatheads will live I would say because they need less oxygen then the blues. However the blues I say will probably die. You might want to think before putting flatheads in a pond because they will eat everything in it. I know people that have did it and they cleaned the ponds out.

6. Thad

Thad New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    You will end up with a pond that contains one fish- a ginormous flathead.

7. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    if you plan on taking the blues from the river to stock it they wont last long. But hatchery blues do just fine in a pond if you can find them

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Leave the blues & flats in the river & stock your pond with pond fish. Dont waste them !!! CPR !!! :crazy:

9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I know of some ponds about 1 1/2 to 6 acre's in size, a couple lakes around 14-25 acres' all are at least 13-18' deep at the dams.. No areators, paddles beating the water or anythng.

Bluecats been swimming in them for years. and I've seen the water get so low you thought they would have died, to my surprize none did. Some of these lakes were sporstmans clubs at one time or another and the fish have been in them for 25-30+ years. Biggest blue I know of weighed in at 76lbs- 9 years ago.

I think it has something to do with the depths of the waters they swim, they love cool water.:cool2: JMHO

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have both blues and flatties in my 3 acre 20' d pond. blues do well so long as they're not caught in water temps above 50/60... flats do great and keep the smaller crappie, bass, and gill population perfectly balanced.
    My blues are from a hatchery and die when caught in temps above 50/60.... The flatties have been in there for over a decade and are very hardy.
    I seriously doubt you'll be happy with keeping blues in your pond bro, I would doubt they even make there alive... especially in the warmer months.

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well , im going to go against the grain on this topic, flamekepper posted obove that his pond holds blues,this pond is going to be deep, now im not saying anybodys a lair here, but what is the crime in putting 2 blues in a pond and see, if they die then we simply dont do it again, if this is a cpr thing then its a concern of letting fish die,dont get bent out of shape we are not going to dump a bunch of blues in there at once,i got one in mine and its not dead yet, unless somebody caght it, cool down there mr foster:sad2:

12. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Im as cool as cool gets Jake. Break a leg.

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    LOL I JUST THOGHT YOU TOOK IT THE WRONG WAY MR FOSTER,I JUST GET MAD ABOUT BLUECATS, READ MY POST AND YOU WILL SEE WHY I WANT TO STOCK A POND, BLUES ARE NOT IN M AREA I GOT TO DRIVE ALMOST OUT OF STATE TO GET A CHANCE AT ONE

14. Navy_Seal

Navy_Seal New Member

State:
    Northeast oklahoma
    ok just my two cents and what a have learned from experience, like 3 years ago i caught a 15 pound blue. me and my buddy decided to put her in my pond, well all i have to say is that fish lived, caught her already this summer and i guess she had to have been pregnant cuz everybody that fishes my pond catch the crap out of 1 2 3 pounders

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thats cool... musta been a male in there you didn't know about- lol

16. festus

festus New Member

I know of an old coal stripmine/quarry pond that's about 20 acres in size on a dairy farm and is about 60 feet deep. The owners always said there were blue catfish in there, but all I ever caught were channels and bullheads. I don't know if these old farmers knew the difference between channels and blues. There are several small feeder streams and I wouldn't doubt there be blues in there, just never seen one yet. Never heard of a flathead in there, either.

17. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good luck with the blues. BTW it is considered rude in internet etiquette to post anything in all caps. In the internet all caps means you are screaming at someone.

18. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Hope you have pond pumps to keep the water movin

19. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    WAY TO JUMP ON THE BANDWAGON!!!! YOU GUYS NEED TO KNOW FOR FACT WHAT YOU THINK YOU KNOW RATHER THAN TAKING THAT RIDE OF BS INFORMATION!!! OMG I internet yelled at people!!! Dont worry about it Jacob I know for a fact that 3 of these ponds have blues in them and there is no areation in them. Most of these guys are just jumpin up on that bandwagon that the diehard peta CPR guys are pulling. They actually have no idea what they are talking about but in a ploy to impress their buddies they are taking that ride.

Attached Files:

20. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Not me man, I don't care who I impress.... I'm all for him puttin' blues in there. I was just telling him my very truthful experiences I had with blues in my pond. Keeping them alive in route IS going to be alot of work. A cool super areated tank (lots of dissolve oxygen) will help combat the lactic acid build-up that will definately kill them after being caught. Once in the pond they'll be fine.... UNTILL they're caught again and get latic acid build-up from the struggle of being caught.... if they're released in that condition in a warm water pond.... I promise you, they WILL die. It's good advise/tip born from firsthand experience.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009