Stockers in a small lake?

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by DANZIG, Feb 19, 2008.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Got a public 17 acre, roughly square shaped, 5 to max 10 foot deep lake, with 2 fountians, I would like to pull a few from.

Where am I going to find them, and what will they be eating?

Near the shore? Out in the middle, On the bottom, or in between?

Was out there the other day and the best I could manage was a 12 incher on a rainbow colored spinner (blind luck) that I lost at the bank.
    Power bait leftovers were in evidence but floating that and nightcrawler bits under the bobber, maybe 18", wasn't getting it.

Maybe the wrong weather? It was clear/cold/light wind.

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey bud i use braum's biscuit dough, there's other threads about it. just went today and me, my buddy and his son caught 22 in an hour. i throw out about 30 feet and retrieve about five feet, on top. this seems to get their attention quicker. if you don't get hit in a couple minutes, hop it along the bottom a foot or two. and i don't use weight. they seem to line up for this stuff where i am at. all stockers can't be that different, so give it a shot.

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thanks!
    Can you elaborate on the braum's biscuit dough? Never heard of it.
    We talking bait? or biscuit dough?

4. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    alright tell i joined the Army i fished 95% of the time for trout. planters are farely simple. its always fun to catch um on spinners and spoons. try a bronze meps liek a #2 or a few difernt panther martins. as for bait. rig a sliding sinker with a small split shot 2 to 3 ft above a small treble hook like a 12 or so, and use power bait. i have always like the rainbow with sparkles.. power bait floats its self. or try night crawlers on the bottum or under a bobber. if they are hitting the serface try some flys what ever matches the current hatch. hope this help if you got any questions ask um ill try to help out

5. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ditch the bobber when fishing worms unless your fishing real deep. Also, I gotta say go shiney on the spinners and don't worry about bright colors. Roostertails in black/chrome or white/chrome are deadly, 1/16-1/8oz. I've never been big on fishing with corn, but I know on stockers it can work very well too. Again, no weight in a lake or pond.

6. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I'd recommend trying Power Bait (r) Eggs. I use a sliding sinker rig with 1/2 oz. weight. Leader length depends on depth; you'll have to experiment. I'd start with 2'. The best hook I've found for the eggs is a #6 octopus hook by Renegade (r). These are pretty cheap from Wal-Mart (r), and they're actually made in the USA.

String two eggs through the center, leaving point and barb exposed. You'll want to ask the locals for the best color combination. I'll usually use one chartreuse near the eye, and one white near the barb.

Another trick is to clip a bobber to an opened paper clip. Hang that on your line between two eyes on your rod after you've cast out. Take the slack up on your line until the bobber is hanging down about 6". If a fish takes the bait, you'll see the bobber move either up or down; it will twitch if the fish is nibbling. (Side-to-side is just the wind.) At that point, remove bobber, take up all slack, and set hook when you feel lucky; I'll generally wait for the line to start moving.

From what I've seen, planted trout like to stay in the area they were planted for a few days, and then they'll swim around. I'd cast as far as I can, unless you see someone catching closer to shore.

Good luck, and have fun!

-- Rich

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey danzig, just the buttermilk biscuit dough from braum's. i'm sure it wouldn't work on native trout but the stockers eat it up. and i will second the no weight in ponds! let em run with it, and right before the line thightens up, hammer down! gives us something to do till the crappie turn on!

8. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    try a slip bobber rig with an ice jig tipped with maggots 2 feet off the bottom

9. WTL

WTL New Member

State:
    alabama
    Some people use corn too. I find that trout will often bunch up in those type ponds. This may not be the greatest advice, but if you find someone else who fishes that pond - pick their brain. I've always understood stream trout better, but stocked trout in ponds do seem to follow the same type routines for those ponds and I have seen people show up day after day, limit out in minutes then go home - they knew the water. Get to know them.

10. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    Yea i have a pond just like that here. I got ahold of this guy that was fishing across the way and he limited out 8 fish for that pond in bout ten minutes. So walked over there to see what the devil he was doin so well. He sold me his bait for a dollar he said it was chum pellets mixed with water and bread. Well that seemed a good description of the mess he handed to me so i gave it a go and sure as i was standin there i had trout bombardin my bait no matter how i presented it they were fightin over it. So my advice to you is to find a real fishy smellin chum mix it with water and bread till it feels like clay and just throw it were it will get wet. Good luck:cool2: