Stock or ext choke?? need some help plz

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by LafayetteRiverRunner, Sep 17, 2007.

1. LafayetteRiverRunner

LafayetteRiverRunner New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I am new to waterfowl hunting and would like to know the diff between the 2? Is the ext choke better with smaller shot say bb or the bigger bbb ? I have been doing pretty good this year with my moss835 w/stock and bb but sometime I have to shoot 2 and 3 times to kill the bird.Shot 8 so far in early season. I would just like all the info I can get. Is the ext more for geese the duck?? Does it shoot farther or say hold a pattern farther?? I know little about waterfowl but am learning more every time I go out. Thanks

2. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I use a ported extended choke (modified) for about everything in my 12 ga.
    It works pretty well all around except for quail and skeet shooting where it helps to have a little more open choke.

3. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    finding the right tube for your gun is the main thing to do. it may be extended or it might be a factory tube. you need to pattern you gun with loads you will be shooting with several different tubes at different ranges. then go with the one that produces the best pattern. it is a paint the rear but its the best way to find a good killing pattern. I shoot a terror .705 extended tube for geese and turkeys. Its kinda like an extra full. but for ducks I just the plain ole stock mod tube. these tube produce the best for each type of hunting and load. Hope this helps a little

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    my main goose and duck guns are a mossy 88 and rem 870. i have the extended turkey chokes that hold a pattern quite well. for ducks and geese though, both pattern best with the plain ol modified stock choke tube. i shoot 3 in BBB super x dryloks for geese, and the same size and brand of shell in #4 shot for ducks. you might want to play around with shot sizes too, to develop a more lethal setup. a buddy of mine is a goose guide and swears by 3 in #1 shot for geese, but he's shooting over decoys. i am pass shooting, which is why i use the BBB's.

5. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I'd stick with the stock choke.. I've spent countless dollars having barrels back bored, forcing cones lengthened, extended chokes, you name it i've tried it..i guess some of the $80.00 chokes help but it probably more in your mind than in real life.. I have patterned guns and chokes till i was blue in the face and from what i have seen the stock chokes work as good as aftermarket ones..after all its actually who has the gun that makes the shot..not bragging but i have out shot guys with perazzi's and kreighoff's with my rem. 1100 28 gauge..many times..

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use my stock choke in I/C in my Ithaca mod 37 with T and F shot for geese over decoys,works well.

7. quackingtim

quackingtim New Member

State:
    indiana
    Just use your mod. w/the bb's you have been shooting. Use the extra money for decoys.

8. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    shoot a circle the size of a goose at lets say tweenty yrds. use your goose load (bbb) and your mod tube. how many pellets do you think are gonna hit a kill area on the bird. not very darn many. now think about why it takes you 3 shots to kill one bird. if your gonna shoot 10yrd shots all day at geese then shoot your mod. but untill you tighten the group up and put more pellets in the body of the bird or the head, your gonna waste birds and shells. I shoot a browning 10 ga with the terror tube when I hit a goose it dies.

9. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    I guess maybe I got of the subject alittle the real question is what is the diff betwwen the two tubes ext vrs. non. in all honesty I havent noticed much differance between a extended tube and a flush tube. The main problem I have found is finding the shot and tube combo and the proper tube for the job

10. LafayetteRiverRunner

LafayetteRiverRunner New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks all . I have found that it is very easy to spend lots of money on a bird that is fun to shoot but really not all that good to eat. I guess I will shoot my stock choke and save my money for shells and decoys. I have not found a really great way to cook goose so I am just making jerky . Any good ways to cook it .......anybody??

11. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    I like to cut the breast into one chuncks soak over night in special sauce then wrap in bacon throw on the grill for a wile. the throw the goose away and eat the bacon.