stiper tagging and more!

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by fshnutz, May 2, 2008.

1. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    I did some volunteer work with the California DFG yesterday. The goal was to tag striped bass and collect data. We met in Knights Landing at 7am and got on a pontoon boat. I didn't really know what to expect when we pulled up to the first fyke trap (I have no idea how they got that name). We ran the boat on shore and climbed up the levee where the cable connected to the trap was fastened. Using a truck with a wench, the trap was pulled out of the water. I couldn't believe the size of this thing!!:crazy: As the trap started to surface the fish inside went nuts and were thrashing around. One of the bioligists yelled for the guy to stop when the trap was in position. We went back to the boat and positioned it along side the trap. Once the door is open, the fish are pulled out using a big heavy duty net (this is tough work).:eek:oooh: Then the bioligists put the fish on a cloth hamock and tag it. They check the sex, lenghth and take a scale sample as well before releasing it. The first trap had 62 fish, mostly striper ranging from 5-40 pounds!:big_smile: It was awesome seeing these monster fish. The second trap had 84, then 72, 69, and 57. Among the striper was a 5 foot green sturgeon that almost knocked me off the deck when we released him.:tounge_out: There were several catfish, 2 salmon and some shad and carp as well. We were done around 5 pm. After seeing all these fish, I had to try to catch one! I went straight to the local bait shop and bought some jumbo minnows. I headed back to the area where the traps were located and set up. I hooked up a minnow on my G. Loomis rod with my Shimano corsair reel. After a couple hours without a bite, I was getting chilly and decided to run up to my car and get my jacket. I was away from my pole for maybe 1 minute and when I returned it was gone!:angry: A big striper, I assume, grabbed my minnow and never looked back. I was so sick to my stomach from losing a $300 set up that I nearly cried.:sad2: Anyway, I went back out there today to try for some revenge. I wasn't there 5 minutes when a hog of a catfish sucked up a my jumbo minnow. I took a pic and let him go. And that is that. Hope ya'll are doing some fishin' too!! It's gonna take a few posts, but I'll put up the pics from the tagging and my catfish.
    Linz:wink:

Attached Files:

2. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    More tagging photos!

Attached Files:

3. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    and some more pics. I also took some short video clips. I will E-mail them if anyone wants to see them. One of them shows the sturgeon in the trap!

Attached Files:

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Good talking with you last night Linzter:big_smile: So how you do after we got off the phone?
    Commend you brother for the work you did with the DF&G:wink: That sucks about your loss of your rod and reel but nice cat there. I be up that was a lot this year. Looking forward to hooking up with you North Cal boys in "God's Country":wink:
    AWESOME POST AND PICKS!!!!!!!

5. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Whelp Linz you know where to fish now for sure thats unreal the fish caught in that area, sorry bout your loss I can just see you there eyes about filled over with tears, man that sucks.

6. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    How do they know?
    You can wait for hours for a bite and as son as your back is turned...
    That sucks about your rig but I commend you for your volunteer work with the DFG.
    Can you tell other people on here how they can get involved?

7. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Linz,

:worship:I think that was cool to be able to work with the California DFG & to see first hand what is done when it comes down to taking care of the fish that we all love to go out & catch to get some R & R and also to just get away from it all.
    Think about it, "weather we what to amid to it or not" :0a14: - If it "was not" for that kind of work from the people of the DGF - we would not be able to have a lot of these Gatherings that we all go on.

Good Work Buddy,
    Bert:cool2:

8. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    Tom,
    That's a good idea! I actually just stumbled upon it through a "different website" and made contact. However, my contact person was Marty Cingras. He is the head bioligist. I lost his E-mail address, but I'm sure he can be contacted via the DFG website. I think they are fully staffed on this project now, but sometimes they allow guests. So I encourage anyone to check it out!
    Linz

9. airforceben

airforceben New Member

State:
    california
    ohhhhhhhhhhhh that sucks...I lost 2 abu 5600/ugly stick set ups last year, except mine was to a person(left them in my trk bed). oh well, we live and learn. good work w/ the dfg

10. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    :angry:Bummer bout the fishing gear Linz......

:confused2:What are the dims of the "fish Trap"

diameter and length?? looks quite large, and what is used for bait if any at all??

You Planning on the Blythe Gathering???

Bayrunner Ray

11. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats some nice looking fish there thank you so much for sharing the pictures with us looks like them are some good sized fish and I bet they was really fun to catch.

12. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    Hey Ray,
    I'm not positive about the dimensions. If I had to guess, id'e say about 9' diameter and 12 - 15 feet long. They don't use bait! This was my first question as well. They just put it in the fishes path and they swim in. It's designed like a big minnow trap with 2 chambers. The hole leading into the first chamber is bigger so the fish don't think twice. The opening in the second chamber is smaller, so they can't get back out. swimming against the current is so engrained in these fish, I don't think they even know how to turn around! Even while they are in the trap they are always facing the current. I'm not sure on the Blythe gathering. Things at my job are still shaky, but it's in the back of my mind. I would love to pull it off, I'm just not sure yet.

13. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Linz.. thanks for the update on the dims of the fishtrap.... huge...

I hear you on the Blythe trip.... time is important... and you need more than a week end to get there.... throw in the price of gas.... I know I'm cutting back my long trips....to one a month...

14. hopnbrly

hopnbrly New Member

State:
    California
    Great learning experience,both on the rod and reel loss and the DFG service.Im sure that your dfg time taught you a fair bit about fishing tactics.

15. StankBait

StankBait New Member

State:
    CA
    Great Post, Thanks for sharing!!

Stankbait

16. guppie

guppie New Member

State:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hope with all your hard work those biologist had some time to teach. I know we all want to keep our natural resources going for a looong time. I am sorry about your gear. Reading that made me sick to my stomach.

17. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    Thanks man. I am sloooowly starting to get over the loss of my pole. Those bioligists are on point. I know we have a lot of grievences with the DFG but these folks had a passion for what they do. The big F ups are usually done at the top level. The working class DFG are usually not to blame. It's like politics, they aren't currupt at first. I would love to work for them and have a chance to make a difference. In the mean time......CPR!!!