Stiped Bass

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by SURFPREP, Sep 16, 2009.

1. SURFPREP

SURFPREP New Member

State:
    KY
    May be a dumb question but want to make sure I don't make any mistakes.

Can a small Striped Bass be used for bait, live or cut up?

Thanks,

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yep, ya sure can. I wouldnt use it on all my lines, maybe mix it up some, but sometimes they love em.

3. SURFPREP

SURFPREP New Member

State:
    KY
    Not sure what was dumber - the question or the way I spelled Striped!:eek:oooh:

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Not in Ky. It is consider game fish in Ky and the reg. say the only game fish that can be used as bait is the red eared sunfish, and they have to be caught on R/R.

5. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Second That !!!!!!!

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Ah, I'm glad you guys caught that. I didn't realize he was asking if it was a legal bait in KY...I thought he meant can you use it as bait to catch cats ; )

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I'm not sure he was asking about Ky. but figured I should make sure he understood . they will work for bait where legal I'm sure. it's just not legal in Ky.

8. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Check your local law's and reg's as far as i know no game fish can be used as legal bait , Unless allowed in the same body of water it came from and then that's usually blue gill's and the sort.

9. SURFPREP

SURFPREP New Member

State:
    KY
    Thanks Ken,

I thought I read something about that. Good thing I checked.

10. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    if fishing with indiana license you can use just about any game fish as bait as long as it is caught on rod and reel.

11. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    guys look more into your laws....any fish that is a game fish that is caught legally and is of legal size limit then becomes the property of you. and you can do with that fish as you wish. including use it for bait. like if you were to catch a largemouth that was of legal size....u can chunk that bad boy out. once u catch it legally its your fish. and u can do with it as u wish

12. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    and i also meant to include in there is when you do check your laws you have a seperate set of laws specifically for the river. and if you check those laws or call the dnr they will tell you that if its caught legally do with it as u please. heck if you wanted to catch ur limit in bass and cut their heads off and just toss them back you can do that in kentucky too since theres no law on throwing fish remains back into the water

13. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Interesting..I'll have to check it out thanks Steve.

14. festus

festus New Member

Don't know much about KY, but in TN as long as you don't keep over 2 striped bass, 15" minimum length, caught on rod and reel, you can use them as bait. If you decide to use them as cut bait, that's a different situation, however. On the riverbank I think you're not allowed to "alter" a fish to where the game warden can't check it out to see if it's legal. Shoot, I'd just fillet the striper, cut it into plug size chunks and use it as cut bait.

This seems like a silly law, if someone caught a couple of stripers and wanted to cook them on his Coleman stove on the shore, why would the game warden issue them a citation?

15. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    This is straight from the Ky fishing and boating regs. The only sport fish exception for bait is redear sunfish.

Regardless of size or how obtained,
    it is illegal to use any sport fish for bait
    (except redear sunfish). (Sport fish species
    listed on page 5). Minnows are defined
    as all fish, except sport fish species,
    less than 6 inches long. Also, see page 24
    for a description of fish species protected
    in Kentucky under the Endangered
    Species Act – these fish species shall not
    be taken for any use. Bluegills are not
    sport fish and may be taken for bait as
    described above.

16. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Look into your laws for the ohio river. the laws are written differently for the river than the rest of the kentucky waters. in your regulations book you should find a section strictly marked ohio river.

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Don't recall the question ask including the Ohio river.

18. SURFPREP

SURFPREP New Member

State:
    KY
    Thanks for all the help. Good thing my daughter is a lawyer. Typical government regulation that everyone has their own opinion.

Note - I mainly bank fish the Ohio River, so if the Ohio River is different than the rest of KY that reg is what I need to understand.

Thanks

19. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I'm not sure it will be different on the Ohio river if you are on the Ky. bank. will have to read a bit more on it before I would make a statement about that. It might be a good idea to get in touch with the warden in the counties in which you fish. They all have their own opinions too.:wink: If ya get my drift.

20. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Been reading some on the Ohio river. It will depend on which bank you are fishing on,on The Ohio river. You will need to abide by the laws that aply to the state in which you are fishing .If you are fishing the Ky side you abide by Ky. Laws, if in Indiana,Ill. or Ohio you abide by their laws. Hope this helps clarify the situation.