Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Stiped Bass

3K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Flootie16 
#1 ·
May be a dumb question but want to make sure I don't make any mistakes.

Can a small Striped Bass be used for bait, live or cut up?

Thanks,

#7 ·
Ah, I'm glad you guys caught that. I didn't realize he was asking if it was a legal bait in KY...I thought he meant can you use it as bait to catch cats ; )
I'm not sure he was asking about Ky. but figured I should make sure he understood . they will work for bait where legal I'm sure. it's just not legal in Ky.

#11 ·
guys look more into your laws....any fish that is a game fish that is caught legally and is of legal size limit then becomes the property of you. and you can do with that fish as you wish. including use it for bait. like if you were to catch a largemouth that was of legal size....u can chunk that bad boy out. once u catch it legally its your fish. and u can do with it as u wish

#12 ·
and i also meant to include in there is when you do check your laws you have a seperate set of laws specifically for the river. and if you check those laws or call the dnr they will tell you that if its caught legally do with it as u please. heck if you wanted to catch ur limit in bass and cut their heads off and just toss them back you can do that in kentucky too since theres no law on throwing fish remains back into the water

#14 ·
Don't know much about KY, but in TN as long as you don't keep over 2 striped bass, 15" minimum length, caught on rod and reel, you can use them as bait. If you decide to use them as cut bait, that's a different situation, however. On the riverbank I think you're not allowed to "alter" a fish to where the game warden can't check it out to see if it's legal. Shoot, I'd just fillet the striper, cut it into plug size chunks and use it as cut bait.

This seems like a silly law, if someone caught a couple of stripers and wanted to cook them on his Coleman stove on the shore, why would the game warden issue them a citation?

#15 ·
This is straight from the Ky fishing and boating regs. The only sport fish exception for bait is redear sunfish.

Regardless of size or how obtained,
it is illegal to use any sport fish for bait
(except redear sunfish). (Sport fish species
listed on page 5). Minnows are defined
as all fish, except sport fish species,
less than 6 inches long. Also, see page 24
for a description of fish species protected
in Kentucky under the Endangered
Species Act – these fish species shall not
be taken for any use. Bluegills are not
sport fish and may be taken for bait as
described above.

#16 ·
This is straight from the Ky fishing and boating regs. The only sport fish exception for bait is redear sunfish.

Regardless of size or how obtained,
it is illegal to use any sport fish for bait
(except redear sunfish). (Sport fish species
listed on page 5). Minnows are defined
as all fish, except sport fish species,
less than 6 inches long. Also, see page 24
for a description of fish species protected
in Kentucky under the Endangered
Species Act – these fish species shall not
be taken for any use. Bluegills are not
sport fish and may be taken for bait as
described above.
Look into your laws for the ohio river. the laws are written differently for the river than the rest of the kentucky waters. in your regulations book you should find a section strictly marked ohio river.

#18 ·
Don't recall the question ask including the Ohio river.
Thanks for all the help. Good thing my daughter is a lawyer. Typical government regulation that everyone has their own opinion.

Note - I mainly bank fish the Ohio River, so if the Ohio River is different than the rest of KY that reg is what I need to understand.

Thanks

#19 ·
I'm not sure it will be different on the Ohio river if you are on the Ky. bank. will have to read a bit more on it before I would make a statement about that. It might be a good idea to get in touch with the warden in the counties in which you fish. They all have their own opinions too.:wink: If ya get my drift.

#20 ·
Thanks for all the help. Good thing my daughter is a lawyer. Typical government regulation that everyone has their own opinion.

Note - I mainly bank fish the Ohio River, so if the Ohio River is different than the rest of KY that reg is what I need to understand.

Thanks
Been reading some on the Ohio river. It will depend on which bank you are fishing on,on The Ohio river. You will need to abide by the laws that aply to the state in which you are fishing .If you are fishing the Ky side you abide by Ky. Laws, if in Indiana,Ill. or Ohio you abide by their laws. Hope this helps clarify the situation.

#21 ·
Lots of anglers down my way use rainbow trout for bait. It's legal as long as you don't have over 7 in your possession. Even if you buy your trout at a hatchery or bait shop, you're still only allowed 7. They must really be effective for striper and catfish bait because that's all that some folks will bait up with. They fish the trout cut up or whole, according to the size.

#22 ·
Been reading some on the Ohio river. It will depend on which bank you are fishing on,on The Ohio river. You will need to abide by the laws that aply to the state in which you are fishing .If you are fishing the Ky side you abide by Ky. Laws, if in Indiana,Ill. or Ohio you abide by their laws. Hope this helps clarify the situation.
Ken we are going to end up hateing each other. But you can fish either side of the river with either license on the bank. if i take my indiana license i can go straight across the river and fish the kentucky bank and i am still at the mercy of indiana laws. and its the same with ohio illinois WV. whichever license u have it doesnt matter which bank your on, thats the law u abide by....yeah u hate me

#23 ·
Flootie, your just trying to stir the pot!:smile2: Actually that makes sense, during waterfowl season both Indiana and Kentucky have reciprocal agreements that allow a hunter to hunt either bank on the main stem of the Ohio river with only one states license. The hunter is responsible for the laws pertaining to which ever state's license he is carrying. Now if that hunter goes up into a creek then he has to have the license for that state and abide by their laws. An easier solution would be to purchase an Indiana license when fishing the Ohio along with the Ky license and there are no more issues...

#24 · (Edited)
Ken we are going to end up hateing each other. But you can fish either side of the river with either license on the bank. if i take my indiana license i can go straight across the river and fish the kentucky bank and i am still at the mercy of indiana laws. and its the same with ohio illinois WV. whichever license u have it doesnt matter which bank your on, thats the law u abide by....yeah u hate me
Now here you are on license issue!!:confused2: The question was about bait. Here is a link to the regs. http://fw.ky.gov/pdf/09fishguidefishingregs.pdf
You read it and make up your mind everyone else does. You might as well too.:wink: When we going fishing bro??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.