stinkycheese

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Bayoubear, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    ive got half a drum of stinkycheese thats evidently gone bad. it used to make yer eyes water when baiting up the nets but now its got only a very faint cheese aroma and doesnt smell rancid at all.

what can i add to the cheese to get it back right?
    any suggestions?
    thanks

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    When we fished Bait nets. We would take hot water and mix into it. Makes it go back to working. but there was times we would take mussle meat and add to it.
    Also cold weather would cut down on the smell. but warm it back up and it would get right.
    Also there was times we had to to use a fresh barrel. And still caught as much fish .
    But always tryed to have 4 or 5000 lbs on hand all summer and let it get right.
    Pete

3. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    thanks. no real practical way to add hot water and its too cold here for it to warm up much. been told too that i can add some buttermilk and then cornmeal to keep it from gettin watery. the stuff im usin now all its catching are crappie and bream, neither of which i want. thought about lettin some livers go bad too but then again i dont want to have to handle bait thats gunna make me deathly sick to handle it. this drum has been in the back of my pickup since mid summer and stunk to high dickens when i bought it.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    When I would get elbo deep in the cheese it all was bad. Have you mixed it up good?
    Pete

5. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    to a depth of maybe ten/twelve inches. i have a big garden hand trowel i use as a scoop to fill the meshbags with. ill try mixing the whole thing up with a boat paddle. darndest thing.. wirenets always have crappie and bream in them but nary the first whiskerfish beyond babies. may even add a quart of deer blood too. the ouachita hasnt begun its annual rise tho, and thats usually the sign we use to start the catfishing in high gear.