Stinky Fingers

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by KAYAK CAT KILLER, Jul 31, 2009.

1. KAYAK CAT KILLER

KAYAK CAT KILLER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ok, I have to ask... what you boys use to get the fish smell off your hands.. Im playing with fire asking this question , I'll must word it and explain it very carfully. The wife says my hands always smell like fish. Probably because I'm catchin um everyother day but I have to agree with her. Any special stuff.. I've used coffee grinds before but its just fishy coffee smell. HELP its affecting my love life.. LOL

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    one thing that seems to work for me is to rub your hands on a stainless steel sink, such as in the kitchen ,don,t know why but it helps

3. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    salt and warm water

4. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
  5. Billy_Mojo

Billy_Mojo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've gone out and caught channels before and brought em home and had no smell to speak of, and other times I stunk to high heaven. I discovered the correlation between the smell and the different times was not the catfish, but the bait. The times I didn't use shad at all, there wasn't any stink. (well, I can't say wasn't any at all, but significantly less than when I used shad.)

So, shad to me stinks a whole lot worse than catfish. All that said though, I don't really know what would work the best and I'm going to try the mustard idea sometime, and the warm water and salt -- but I've thought about it a little bit and I'm pretty sure gasoline would do the trick if it was high enough octane. :smile2:

And maybe, just maybe, there's another use for good ol' WD-40. :wink:

So next time I get a bad dose of the shad-stink I'm gonna mess around with my chainsaw for a bit. I normally manage to spill gas on my hands when I do that.

6. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Try a little mud or sand from the bank then rinse your hands in the water. It'll help. Stay safe and downwind!!!:wink:

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Soak em in-cider........ :big_smile_2:

8. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I have looked it up, I have asked guys at the bait shop, I have always heard/noticed it says lemon juice. I have used the little bottles of lemon juice and they do help tremendously!, something else that I have noticed takes the smell away most of the times, is the Fast Orange Pumice soap that you usually use after working on a car, it is in the orange bottle, it has taken the fishy/stinky bait smell off of my hands/skin many times!

Good Luck!

9. KAYAK CAT KILLER

State:
    Missouri
    Do i just rub my hands on them or what LOLOLOLOLOL

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Buy you a tube of toothpaste and use vigorusly.

11. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
  12. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Alot of time washing for one. If you can get some powdered clothes washing detergent it works really awesome.

13. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i rinse my hands in white vinegar real well and then wash with dishwashing liquid.

14. Phoneman53

Phoneman53 New Member

State:
    Olivet, Kansas,
    Doing the dishes for her.....use dawn dish soap though shoiuld help in more ways than one...........:smile2::smile2:

15. KAYAK CAT KILLER

State:
    Missouri
    If I cant make my hands smell good with a combo of these ideas I'm screwed. Thanks fellas.. Maybe I'll get some special attention again. :roll_eyes:

16. Billy_Mojo

Billy_Mojo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My lovely bride of the last seven years (anniversary comin' up) lets me clean my fish in the kitchen -- she says it's food isn't it? it belongs in the kitchen. So we've got the stainless steel sink. Well this is not the first wife I've had, and the other one, let me tell you ---

not only could I never clean my fish in the house she made me keep it in a separate freezer out in the garage; and I couldn't come in the house smellin like fish. Needless to say I didn't see much of my house (or her) in the summertime when I was married to her! Back then if she was in a sorta good mood and I actually wanted to go back into the house and see her I just rinsed my hands off with cheap ass Mennen Skin Bracer. (the green kind).

Gave em a BIG dose, not just a little bit like you would slap on your face. I kept that stuff around my fishin gear all the time anyway cause I use it to make ticks get out of me. Sometimes it makes them let go and crawl right off of ya.

17. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    It's an old topic but fast orange and a scrub brush will get you there. You can try to mask the smell with pretty stuff but if it's all ground in under your finger nails, you'll keep getting little whiffs of it.

18. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    Thats what i do to. Seems to do the trick for me. An ol timers secret that my gpa taught me.

19. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    Tooth paste works good ,right after a drink of homade wine!!!!