Stinky and disgusting river fishing.

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by derbycitycatman, Jun 11, 2006.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Went bankfishing on the Ohio River yesterday. Got skunked but I was fishing during the heat of the day. I walked down the ramp and started walking down the bank. I notice it doesnt smell too good but it is the Ohio River so nothing new there. :sad2: About every five feet or so are catfish laying everywhere. Im thinking Ill just walk past them but they are all along the bank where I was walking. I finally give up and decide to fish among the dead fish. That lasts about 10-15 minutes before I cant take it anymore. Just as I was leaving some more people start heading my way. I end up asking them about all the dead fish and they tell me its from the catfish tournaments. :crazy: :sad2:

I walked at least 200 yards from the ramp and there was literally dead fish every five feet. It just made me sick to see all these fish wasted for sport and money. This just made me feel even stronger against any and all fishing tourneys. Sorry but I had to tell someone. I feel like campaigning to get this tourney stopped or have some CO's down there to investigate the wanton waste.

2. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    It's bad enough dealing with the polution and the trash. I think that the problem with catfish is that because they are considered rough fish in many states that the tournement crowd are there for the rush but aren't realy the conservationist that they are supose to represent. I hate to say this but the bas stuf I se on TV take a lot of pride to return healthy fish to the water.

SEE YOU ON THE FISH BANK AT THE NATIONAL BOC GATHERING

3. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I would call the local city fathers, local game & wildlife, park authoritys, tournament sponsors, tournament promoters, or anyone involved with that and share a few thoughts. That type of thing has to stop no matter where you live. There are other methods for tournaments to ensure fair weights and lengths without loosing the fish. This kinda stuff really torks me. I watch literaly thousands of King Salmon die every year and litter the streams with thirty to seventy pounds of carcas so thick you can't step without stepping on one. The sea gulls can't keep up their jobs because the number is over whelming
    No one can stop this, no one can explain this, except nature. Yours is a totally different ball game. Hot Hot Hot
    Don

4. cornbreadnky

cornbreadnky New Member

State:
    Elizabethtown, Kentucky
    man i hate to here about this...im sure if you get the co's involed they can check into this---please keep us posted

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I would venture to say that it has to be a local type tourniment. The Guys in ACATS and USCATS and others are required to keep the fish alive to be weighed in. Those little hometown ones don't do that. It is appauling no the less.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I to am sickened by this news. Only one thing. If the folks ya talked to knew of the origin, why didn't they step to the plate and do somethin about it. HMMMM! I wonder!

7. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I think all the tournament circuits should have a united "blacklist", and anyone competing who is found to be wasting fish this way should be fined $500 per wasted fish and have their name added to the list so that they cannot compete in any tournaments for the rest of the year. That would make dang sure that these people don't pull this crap.

8. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Its one of the local type tourneys not a big tourney at all. The downstream side of the ramp was littered with them. The upstream side was nice and clean. Im going to fish there a few times and find out when their tourneys are and make sure its from them and not some weird fish kill. Just seems suspicious all the fish are downstream from the ramp. I want to see whats gong on before I start causing trouble. I want to check out their weigh in and maybe take some pictures.

9. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I fish bass tourneys and there are very few dead fish at the end of the days weigh in and I mean very few if any. If these cat fish were dead due to a catfishing tourney then someone needs to step in and get this corrected as there is NO reason for any fish no matter what a persons opinion of that fish is to be wasted like that. I cant stand carp feel they are the low end of the totem pole but I dont go and waste them if I catch one it goes back. I also dont keep cats either I catch em and release them I may keep a bass once in a while but I mostly keep trout and salmon. But You wont find anyone wasting fish like that in the circles I fish with. Complain to the city to the sponsers of this tourney and to the promoters of it tell the local news channel get it on tv you would be amazed how well that works to correct a wrong. But also beware that peta or some local treehugging ground dont pick up on it then they will use you to say to the others see even fishermen hate fishing lol yes they will try it its been done.

10. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Could it be possible that they were fish released,that died from stress afterwards?Most of the dead fish I find are gar,carp,and drum,not many people waste good cats.

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    your on the rite track derby,get evidence. find out what club had the event and then when they are having the next one.

im with cook,dont know why they would discard good cat meat. i think there are a lot of fish that die after tourneys leave a water. they would have had to be dead at the time of release for them all to be there in the same place though.

12. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    How hot was it during the day of the fishing tourney? Heat can kill pretty darn quick and I saw it happen to me this weekend. I was fishing in 95 plus degree heat in the middle of the day. The water surface temps were in the mid 80's now just picture how hot that uninsulated live well got just after a few hours in the hot sun. We had fish in the live well with water running but the temps got too hot and just a couple hours later after catching them we were already having fish starting to die on us. These were eater fish and still had red gills so they were still safe to eat and were not wasted but if it was over 90 degrees the day of the tourney the heat probably killed them especially when someone is fishing all day long in the heat. Boat manufactures don't insulate there live wells and if you don't throw some frozen two liter's or regular ice in there the water temp will stress and kill any fish pretty quick. They had a BASS tourney on one of our big lakes here last summer and the temps were close to 100 degrees that day. They had hundreds of dead bass everywhere because of the high heat levels. They have now banned some fishing tourney's during the months of July and August because of too many fish being killed while waiting to be checked in. The only thing to prevent this is to plan fishing around extremely hot days or make it a requirement that they have enough ice to keep water temps from reaching lethal levels

13. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Hey Brian where did you see this? Which ramp? Do you know when the next tourney is? I wouldn't mind checking it out myself.

14. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Thanks for all the advice everyone!!! It hasnt gotten above 85 more like 80 the last couple weeks, beautiful weather. The ramp was Greenwood Boat Docks off of Cane Run Road in Louisville. I was there on Saturday about 6-8pm and looked like they were having one then. About 8-12 boats all sitting out from the ramp then they all take off at the same time. I was too far away to get there in time to see who was running things. I should be there next Saturday with a camera.

15. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Brian, I just got off the phone with a friend and he said that KCA had a tourny there sat. night and didn't weigh in till 9:00am sunday morning , so who ever told you that lied! Don't always believe everything somebody tells you. There is a whole bunch of people fishes that bank.I know a bunch of people that tournament fish ( including me) and most all of them do everyting they can to make sure the fish are taking care of and most tournaments only allow one dead fish, which I don't approve of.All the tournaments I have fished are catch and release and if there is dead ones somebody usually takes them home to eat.

16. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    They were taking off at around 6-8pm maybe later, NOT WEIGHING IN. That would coincide with the 9am sunday morning weigh in, I think. IF its a 12 hour tourney, maybe you can tell me. My thinking was they probably died after weigh in or were dumped before weigh in to avoid any penalties, if its from the tourney. Im going to try like heck to find out who is doing it. If it is the KCA I will have pics to prove it before I call a co. Hoping to be there 9AM sunday morning, camera in hand. Hope to see you there next sunday.

James, like you said most everyone does the right thing. It just takes a couple bassholes to make others look bad. Have you seen what Im talking about since you fish there.

What makes me suspicious is there are no dead fish on the upstream side of the ramp. Plenty of bait and pole holders but no dead fish. Do they have their tourny there every weekend? I have a general dislike for any tourneys so maybe Im a little biased. Wasting fish or game by anyone is a major pet peeve of mine.

17. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Brian, with the water temp like it is now you normaly don't see the fish kill associated with high water temps. Most of the time when the temp gets into the mid to upper 80's is when it is hard to keep fish alive. And yes your wright there is some bassholes that don't go by the rules and I usually keep a eye on them and report them to kfwd. KCA has there tournys in different places each month. I was just there last tuesday doing a show with Kentucky Afield and did not see any dead fish.

IMPO , Tournaments bring attention to the public, that most people don't even know that there is catfish tournys. That these fish are not trash fish and are valuable resource to the communinty and they need to be protected, I am tring to get everybody I can to contact the KFWD and tell them that there needs to be some kind of limit to protect these fish.

BTW, If I want to eat catfish, Krogers has them for 3:99lb.

18. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Sounds good to me. :smile2: I just left an anonymous message on the 800-25alert hot line about wanton waste of catfish there. Doubt they will look into it but at least I tried. I didnt say who I thought was responsible just said there is a large amount of catfish dead there. Also told them I would like to see a statewide limit. Just curious what is the limits in that tourney?

19. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    That sucks brother, good luck getting the people that did this.

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I know for a fact in years past death by stress has been the residual effect of bass tourneys from the home town variety all the way up the chain to the BASS pro circuits. The fish may be released alive but may die within a few hours of release.
    I know I've seen nothing but dead bass floating within a half mile of a ramp a tourney was ran out of a few days prior.
    I know when I saw it the weather had been hot for a week or so.

But BASS has been working through the problem. Alot of the pros are now using oxygen infusion in their livewells and the weigh ins have become more complex with better equipment. Something you wont find in small tournaments.
    Those guys instead of covering up and denying have stepped up to the plate and made efforts and changes to reduce the problem.
    I dont think there will ever be a cure though.

Its a shame fish die needlessly but we fish for those fish and start the process.
    I do what I can for a fish I'm returning the water but beyond that , if I was afraid I would be harming or killing a fish I just wouldn't fish.
    I'm the one taking a fish out of its element. No different then someone holding head under water.
    Its a catch 22 but we can all do our part with what we have and hope for the best.