Stinkbait Help

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by JHalden, May 26, 2009.

1. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    Hey everyone I'm really new to catfishing and have only landed one cat, about 1 lb. Been going out to a spot close to my house where a creek runs into the lake. Got the most ammount of bites on chicken liver. Only gotten like 1 bite with nightcrawlers and thats the fish i caught. Also tried sardines (chunks and fillets) but no takers on that. I would rather use bait that doesn't make my hands reak and my gear grimey but unfortunately the nightcrawlers arent very productive. I am after some eater size fish and I heard that stinkbait was good for them...

Do any of you use stinkbait? I tried one of the like catfish dingleberry things with this nasty blood paste a while back and didn't really like it. Could anyone lean me in the direction of some good stinkbaits? Also how can stinkbaits be rigged? Any input is greatly appreciated! :happy:

2. Nightstalker 424

Nightstalker 424 New Member

State:
    California
    Justin, I have had some good luck on a piece of mackeral dipped in DUMONGS stinkbait. This stuff is nasty but the channels seem to like it! Wear rubber gloves when you handle. They sell it here in SOCAL at Turners, not sure up north! As far as rigging, you can either flyline it or rig it up Carolina style depending on current. Good luck!

3. askins00

askins00 New Member

State:
    California
    I use catifish charlies stick shad dip bait from Bass Pro shops and a looper rig. The dip bait comes in a tub and I use a popsickle stick to load the looper rig. Hope this helps.

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    justin, if you really don't like hands to smell and that is what is holding you back, go get some rubber gloves. chicken liver covered with garlic, mackeral, stink bait to name a few. gotta get down and dirty to get them.
    gary

5. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a23:
    :0a27:
    Hey Justin - "Gary's Right"!

Just like he said - get youself some rubber gloves & try some of the things that he said - "You mite be surprised at the results".

Here are some of the dip baits & accessories that you may want to that a look at:

http://www.thefind.com/sports/info-catfish-dip-bait#local=0
    :0a26:
    :wink:

6. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Dip Bait doesn't have to stink to be good.
    Dip Bait will proble put more eater size Channels in your freezer.
    Some of the most popular ones are Sonnie's, Junnie's Wicked Sticky, Premo the one that seems to be the hot one now and hasn't disappointed any users yet is SECERT 7 from Team Catfish one of the BOC sponcers.
    You will need a good bait holder Looper Rig is #1 with me, Team Catfish has a Red Tube rig as well as the Mini Furry ThAng and a full sized Furry ThAng that seem to be the best Bait holders along with the Looper Rig. They seem to hold the bait longer and load more bait than the rest of your other bait holders.JMHO
    Loop

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    The looper rigs last longer than the lil fury thangs. I tested them:wink:

8. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    I will definitely try some garlic on the livers, tried marinading some sardines in garllic and rock salt and cutting fillets off but didn't get any bites. I think I might have to order some of that secret 7 too... Thank you all for your input.

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Stinkbait will do you well, cut bait and worms will do you well too, but the biggest factor is if you are on the fish. If you tried multiple things and they do not work, best scenario is to relocate. You can throw everything at the fish, but if they are not there it will not do you any good. Lots of times we have to find the fish and go to them if they want come to us.

B

10. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i agree with Darrel, team catfish has a good line of products u can find them in ur local tackle and bait shops. Danny kings is also a good dip bait with the little fuzzy thang jackhammer

11. team760

team760 New Member

State:
    california
    stink baits work good...like its been said there are many types out there....i like hog wild....it seems to do real well for me....i also use livers, cured and not cured.....try finding an area where you're fishing with some structure....trees etc. it might give you some better results....good luck and welcome to catfishing.....T.

12. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    If you have an area that is easy for you to fish @, try chumming the spot up & see if you start getting good results. If not then, I would recommend you relocate, as mentioned before.

HTH, Elliot

13. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Chumming is illegal in fresh water In Ca.
    Unless you have lots of money to pay fines don't do it.

14. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    can someone define what is meant by chumming in this case? if i am fishing and i throw excess bait in the water, is that considered chumming? i only ask because (as most people do) when i know i won't use my worms, etc (say the end of a fishing trip) i will often throw the excess away in the water. figure what the heck, help the fish get bigger.

if that could be considered chumming, and chumming is illegal . . . i will need to look over my shoulder before i do it next time.

thanks,

15. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I dont think that would be a problem. I always throw away excess bait like worms. I even toss over excess mackerel that I dont use or is no good after soaking for a period of time. One DFG guy even kicked in the water excess dead bait that somebody left on the ground to rott into the water so I do not think they would trip about something like that. But if chumming for the purpose of attracting fish and catching them they may have a problem with that and they can consider that chumming. A lot of the problem when it comes to chumming people use things like corn that can often kill some fresh water species.

In the Ocean, chumming is the way to go to get White seabass, yellowtail, and tuna and barracuda to name some examples. So its specific to on land fishing freshwater when it comes to chumming.