Stinkbait fishing, Where do you use it and how?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by james, Feb 27, 2006.

1. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    When im useing stinkbait I like to fish around trees that the water turkeys are roosting in, or at a cleaning dock where all the fish scraps fall. Another good place I like to use it is in the river on a bobble let the current push it into the slack water just letting it drag the bottom. I use sponges with #8 eagle claw trebles, I uselly only use a 1oz weight with it on a slip rig if im bottom fishing. When I use a float i like to use drinking strawls with a wire running threw it and put spray insulations (Great Stuff) inside the strawl for still water, for current I use one of those big pole floats u can buy at Walmart. Ill put on a couple split shots on for float riggin it. With the strawl set up you can really wear them out if the fish breaths on it you will know.

2. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    On the bottom, upstream from jambs and fall downs.May use an anchor weight in really heavy stuff.Drift it light to no weight in the slack or backed up current.

BILL

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :thumbsup:
    "Now your talking" - "That's my thing"

When the water warms, my Stink-Bait Fishing picks up "Big Time"! :0a23:

I get some nice size Channels in late July / early August. I like to fish for them on the bottem with a sliding sinker set-up, but I like that fishing for under a bobber idea:rolleyes: . I think that I will give that a shot this year. :)

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

4. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    What kind of stinkbait do yall use? I use Bells of Hell stinkbait. I really start fishing with stinkbait in fall seems to be the best action for me, I always have the best luck in about 4-8 foot of water right under a tree that water turkeys are roosting in. Never catch any big channels think the biggest on stinkbait ive gotten is 8#.

5. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I use "Wicked Stickey" by Cattracker.

You can find some at "Catfish Connection".

Bert:cool:
    (Shania)

6. AdamL

AdamL New Member

State:
    NC
    I never really used stinkbait in all my years of fishing. The only time I could think it would benefit my fishing trip is if I opened a jar and set it off to the side to keep other prospective fishermen from getting close to the hole I've already sunk my line in.The smell helps to keep others from setting up camp right under you. But, on the other hand, I've heard of a few folks that know how to use it properly landing nice cats from time to time.

7. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    I use The DK's blood punchbait and Miricle Bait Blood Wicked Sticky.Most always have both out at a time on two rods.Other rod has either cut bait or live bait.If the black bullheads start to bite too fast,I'll either just go to the cut and live bait,or move to another spot.When they are around you ca'nt keep them away from the DK's or MB.Would'nt mind so much if they were 3# or better.

BILL

8. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I like Sonny's blood bait, it's made about 30 miles from here. I have caught up to a 10 lb blue cat on it and 3-6 lbs blues and channels often. The boy caught a 5 lb flat last summer in broad daylite. I haven't tried floating one yet but am going to soon.

9. svage23

svage23 New Member

State:
    virginia
    never had much luck using stink baits

10. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    only tried it once and didnt have any luck with it, maybe ill try it again this summer.

11. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    When I use Sonny's stink bait, I have found a dip worm that looks as if it is made from plastic mesh, with a sponge and a treble hook to top it off works the best for me. I used to use the tubes with the holes punched in them, they also had a sponge and treble hook, but it was harder to keep the bait on it, but I did use these for a lot of years. I was talking to the guys just down the river the other day, they use a dip worm, but take the treble hook off and put a 4.0 hook in it's place, and it isn't as hard to retrieve the hook, if the catfish swallows it. I'm going to try that this summer. I fish below lock and dam 19 Keokuk, Iowa on the mighty Mississippi river, in fairly fast current.

12. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Ive only used stinkbait in smaller ponds because it the only stuff that has worked for me. Normally I just cast the line in the middle of the pond, and just sit and wait.

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Gringoloco, If you want to speed up your bite, bring another pole and set one up in about 5-6ft of water. Put bobber on and fish it about 2-3ft deep...unless there is brush pile/structure in the pond, then fish it about 2-3ft out from the structure

I've found the Bluegill tend to hang out on the edge of your standard pond and usually always have cats crusing the area looking for something to munch... *May* help you land more fish :)

14. BoCaHoLiC

BoCaHoLiC New Member

State:
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    The best dip worm I've found that holds the most bait for the longest period of time without rebaiting is Loopers Rigs. Those things work great when I'm using a dip bait like Sonnys. Here is the link. http://www.loopersrigs.com/main.html

Also, after baiting up the rig, I'll dip it in the water for a second and then swing it back and forth to let the air kind of cure it. It seems to stay on the hook better for me when casting. I call it the "Sonny swing". :)

Good luck!

15. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Thanks for the tip I will have to try that out!

16. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    I use a chicken and blood and a liver and blood bait that looks like a small tater tot here in NY. They are sold at Dicks Sporting goods. I have had very good luck in the Hudson river her. Of coarse the cats here run a lot smaller then Santee-Cooper where I like to fish but a cat is a cat and fun anywhere you catch them.

17. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I use Sonny's Blood Bait in eddies and log jams, the fish usually aren't very big, but you can catch a bunch.

18. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    When it starts to get warm in late spring,I turn to stink and punch baits.I fish in the canals where I live,I tried "bobber with a brain" and I can say they do work.I got them on ebay and they are made in Pa.This guy had a good idea that does work.Only drawback is 12# test line is the heaviest you can use and still make the BWAB work.Great idea for eatin size cats.

19. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    Magic bait and Danny Kings work for me.Both have different styles to choose from.They do not need refrigeration,so you can keep them in your car with no problem! :)

20. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I think I might have used just about every type and brand of stinkbait known to man. I've fished stinkbait in creeks, rivers, ponds, lakes, reservoirs..... is there anyplace else?? For creeks and rivers, I'll pretty much use stinkbaits and shad or perch...... in that order. In lakes, I'll use stinkbait whenever I can find some water moving into the lake causing a current. I nearly always use a slip sinker rig above a swivel, with about 18" of line to a #6 treble hook. I've done this since I was about 8 years old and always had pretty good luck. I don't catch many bigguns on stinkbait, but it can sure provide some great action!!!

Lately my favorite brands have been Danny King's original punch bait and Quanah bait when I can find it. I just got a big ol' jug of Sure Shot punch bait in today, and I plan on trying it as soon as it warms up a little. I'll post a report when I know a little more about its effectiveness.

Jerrod