Stinkbait bite

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by RiverKat, May 8, 2007.

1. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Went out last night to try some stinkbait. I used to fish it alot and had some great luck with it, but I've since discovered that cut bait gets bigger fish on average. If a guy wants a mess of eater size channel cats it's the way to go. I was using Cat Trackers brand of stinkbait and the tube worms that they also make. This bait is going to be available at Meijers stores soon. It might be allready. In almost every hole I fished the scenario is the same. Cast the bait and let it sink to the bottom, set rod in holder, wait 5-10 minutes, fish on. After the 1st fish hits, as soon as you get the bait back in the water the wait drops to about 1-2 minutes, fish on. The average size will be somewhere around 1-3lbs from what I've always seen. I have caught bigger fish too but it's the exeption not the norm.

Rigging is very simple. Slide on a slip sinker, attach a barrel swivel, tie on an 12" section of leader, thread on the tube worm, and tie on the hook. I like to use single hooks rather than the trebles the worms come with. The fish usually take the baits deep and unhooking a throat hooked fish is tricky enough with single hooks. Circle hooks are a good option too for dip worms.

When baiting the worm simply stir the bait a little with a stick ( you don't want this stuff on your hands ) push the tube worm down into the bait and then pull it out. It's hard to believe anything would want to eat it but it does really work. After a fish be sure to dry the worm off completely with a towel befor trying to rebait. The bait will not stick to a wet worm.

Give it a try if your looking for some fish to fry.

Heres some pics of the rig, the baiting process, and the result.

Dan

Attached Files:

2. airforceben

airforceben New Member

State:
    california
    Funny i was recently wondering about that stuff. good post

3. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Stink bait works great but they don't call stink for nothin. Brings dack thoughts of 75 or 80deg and the smell of somthing that would gag a maget and your sitting rite on top of it!:dribble: :eek:h: :surrender:

4. mudkat

mudkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    :surrender: thanks for the post

5. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    The funnest part about stink bait is getting a good batch on, dipping it briefly in the water and then slowly and carefully swinging it back over your partner's head to cast.:big_smile: It's a crowd favorite...

Good info Dan, thanks.

6. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Last night I ran half dip bait rigs and half cut bait rigs. Took an equal amount of fish on both. Most of the dip bait fish were 1-3 lbs but one was in the 13-15 lb range. It was the first fish of the night and it really surprised me. Biggest fish I've caught on dip bait in 8 years.

Attached Files:

7. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I usually throw two big rods in the channels and holes. Then Ive got an ultra light with my dip bait on it that I throw off the other side behind me. The little pole keeps me busy while i wait for the big one. Whether I keep them deepends on where there hooked. If their hooked deep Ill keep em. I try to keep my eye on it so he doesnt let it get so good to him that he swallows it. appreciate some of the tips and that is a good fish. Thanks

8. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    You win the award for the most stereotypically correct user name...LOL

Very witty indeed.

9. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Enjoyed your post even though your not using my rig :sad2:
    But the way you discribe the bite is a clasic, that scent trial takes alittle while to bring them into the area.
    Thanks again for the post
    Loop

10. cshire

cshire New Member

I think I'll try some on my first outing this weekend.
    Wish me luck!

11. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    great post and what a nice channel. love to see channel SOOOO big!! What is that dip bait, and why is it in such a HUGE pail?

12. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    That dip bait is made by Cat Tracker. That particular kind is called Jo Jo's Pole Snatcher. I buy it from the factory in 3 gallon buckets because I use about a whole bucket per cat season.