Stink bait versus Live bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by stinkbaitguy, Sep 14, 2007.

1. stinkbaitguy

stinkbaitguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Every since i can remember ive used stink bait,but all i hear about is live bait.I have tryed live bait and never got so much as a nibble!What am i doing wrong.

2. Skunk River Cat

Skunk River Cat New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'd say location, location, location. If you don't get any bites then move. Also, ya gotta match the bait to the size of the cats. Large bait and small cats might not get any hard bites, because the baits too large.

Good Luck.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    It all depends on what your definition of "catfishing" means.

If you like to fish ponds, small lakes, etc. and are primarily interested in catching small to medium sized channel cats, stinkbait is probably the way to go. Smaller catfish, channels in particular, are more scavenger than predator, so will go for smelly concoctions made from ingredients completely foreign to their waters far more readily.

On the other hand, if you're interested in catching blue cats or flatheads, especially big ones, you'll have far more success with a live or fresh-cut bait. Flatheads are predatory from birth and you'll seldom catch them on stinkbait; smaller blues are like channel cats and will eat whatever they can find, but they quickly turn into predatory fish as they grow and their tastes turn to "real" meat.

Always remember when you're reading posts here that each of us comes from a different point of reference, and the "perfect bait" for my kind of fishing might not be the "perfect bait" for your kind of fishing.

Take Danny King's for example - lots of folks here swear by it; I've never caught a thing on it. Why? Probably because I don't fish the same type of water or target the same type of fish. Is it a "worthless" bait? In my experience, yes. But it obviously works for some folks so it can't be discounted entirely.

And I was like you - I grew up using Bee-Jay exclusively - never knew what a shad was until just a few years ago. But now, you couldn't give me a jar of stinkbait (well, I'll admit I do have a jar of Sonny's Wicked Sticky in the boat now, but it was for "emergency" use in a tournament a few months ago)... Bee-Jay works just as good now as it did before I discovered shad; it just doesn't work for my style of fishing.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I myself can only have two poles out at one time off the shore. I put a bream on one pole and on the other I have 2 hooks, usually a crawler and c-liver on that line. I dont get alot of hits off the bream pole but if it starts to move you know its a really big fish. I call it my " Wish Pole ". As far as stink baits go I should explore that option. I dont know much about it really

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Like T said it depends on what you are targeting. For us to catch bigger blues on a consistant basis are go to bait is skip jack fresh or frozen and/or fresh caught shad fished live or cut. If your after flats exclusively stick with live perch although this is the time of year we catch a few flats on cut shad. Always keep a stink bait with you for those days when the fishing is slow. For us our go to stink bait is danny kings it will catch channels and blues. And it will also produce big blues. My best with dk's is 20 lbs. but i know of a 41.5 lber being caught on it as well as numerous 20's and 30's. If i were targeting channels exclusively danny kings is the only bait i would probably use.

6. stinkbaitguy

stinkbaitguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thanks for the comments,i think i will try cut bait on my HOSS reel and keep some stink bait on my other 2!Dang i wanna hook into a monster!!

7. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Sometimes when I go fishing I bring enough bait to start, then while I'm waiting on the catfish I use a smaller pole to catch fresh bait. I just use a simple worm on a float and try to catch a livewell(or bucket) full of bream (bluegill,redear, redbreast, or whatever else will bite), then I have fresh live or cutbait for the trip. When targeting bigger fish, a fresh piece of cutbait is hard to beat for all cats, especially blues.

8. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i will tell you one thing for sure. stunkbait and livers are fun because they are usually a very fast bite. while live bait or cut bait is usually a slow bite, you are definately going to catch more quality fish on live or cut bait. a 30 lbs flathead is not going to hit stinkbait or chicken livers. it sounds like you have the right idea. i would take 3 baits, your stink bait, chicken livers, and live or cut bait. that will you will find out what they kitties are hitting on and then change 2 rods to that bait. but always leave that one rod with live or cut bait out there. even if you only catch one fish on it that trip, it will definately be worth it. good luck and keep us posted.

9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i have always caught more fish on live or cut bait no matter what size fish. basically, smaller bait catches smaller fish and vice-versa. stink bait gives you the opportunity to catch channels and maybe blues if your lucky, but live bait gives you an opportunity to catch all types of cats. i have said and always will say, there is no better bait than a live-cut shad head. hands down.

10. 2MNYKATSNOTENOUFTIME

2MNYKATSNOTENOUFTIME New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've tried both and it really does depend on the kind of cat your lookin for. For Flatties I use live gills, for channels its either stink, chicken livers, or small gills (sometimes all three):big_smile:

11. stinkbaitguy

stinkbaitguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Hay brother where did you get that hat?

12. charlestoncatman

charlestoncatman New Member

State:
    arkansas
    its not his hat...the boc made that everyones avatar that doesnt have one yet....but i sure would like to find a hat like that myself too..

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR

You can purchase the BOC hats from this site. Check out the BOC store or e-mail sis.

14. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I am a firm believer that most bait has it's place and time. It depends on the conditions involved in fishing. I say give the fish what they want that day instead of trying to force-feed them. After all remember the days of being force fed them veggies as a youngster?:eek:oooh:

15. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    This is good to know, I grew up using worms, and they are hit and miss.

16. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I fished the diversion canal in SC this past summer. MY 3 freinds and I were suing live bluegills and cut herring as bait. We caught nothing!

A 12 year old kid with his dad fishing 20 yards away was using stinkbait. It was a sponge dipped in this crap that just looks like poop. They had a string of blues and channels up to 15lbs.

I was totally disgusted with myself. It seems like they like that crap down there.

17. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've tried the so-called dip baits and stink baits....The only thing I ever caught on them was a case of stinky hands. I use natural baits that I catch in my local waters and chicken livers bought fresh never frozen. I will never change. Set in my ways. I have used chicken livers for so long , Ican hook them and cast them and hardly ever throw it off. I usually catch good sized channels on them too. If I had to choose just one bait to use forever though it would be bluegils.....live or fresh cut works well for me.:smile2:

18. JOEcatter

JOEcatter New Member

State:
    davenport iowa
    I have never caught anything with stink bait but have seen alot of people have good results that were fishing near me, I usually have good results with shad or minnows

19. mixrdrivr113

mixrdrivr113 New Member

State:
    Bay, Mo
    when me and my buddy go out no matter what we always take along stink bait,i am a die hard shad fanatic,but i have found that as posted by other members stink bait catchs them fast and even when nothing is hitting they seem to hit on stink bait,I take 2 or 3 poles for shad and then toss out one with stink bait as a time killer while waiting on a big blue,my personal best on stink bait is 6 lbs but most i catch is in the 1 to 3 lb range.just my opinion

20. FishOnChuck

FishOnChuck New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Have to agree on consistency of fresh cut gizzard shad heads == seem to work consistently.