Stink bait ? or waste of my time?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by rpoopjr, May 25, 2006.

1. rpoopjr

rpoopjr New Member

State:
    iowa
    i have some bass fillets in the fridge that have been there for 3 weeks so i put them outside for a day to rippin and then im gona mix with liver and garlic and vanila and flour to make a stink bait that hopefully casts and works. what do you all think? let me know i will post the results in a couple days

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Not a waste of your time. Have no idea if the catfish will like them, but you could hide them around your nosey neighbors house and drive them crazy trying to figure out what that smell was. LOL

3. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    doesnt sound bad. id use clams or skipjack or shad more than bass fillets. after all, WHY WERE YOU FISHING FOR BASS!! isnt that supposed to be the dark side!?!?!?!?!?!:lol: anyways, commercial stinkbaits work better because of their "secret" ingrediant they claim that they have

4. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Bait information STINK BAIT= smallcatfish

FRESH BAIT= BIG CATFISH.

Just my thoughts.........steve

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Now that was funny, LMAO!!!
    Secret ingredient, LOL!!!

6. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Be sure to check your states regulations, here in Ky. we can not use any gamefish or parts of gamefish for bait. If legal I'd say try it, you never know till you try.

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    what a shame, bass is one of the best tasting fish in the world.

8. kyblue49

kyblue49 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i dont know but im glad to here somebody finally kill a bass

9. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    i use both fresh bait and stink on other pole do your own test. to see what works better in your neck of the woods.

10. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    try it cuz you just might like it. lol

11. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've never had any bites at all on prepared baits from the store. I think the secert ingredient is fish repellant!
    Here it's illegal to use bass for bait.

12. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Stink baits, dough baits, dip baits... I never had any luck with any of them. Used to use chicken liver with some pretty good results for numbers of small cats, but it wasn't til I started using cut bait that I started catching anything over 2 pounds.

13. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    It sounds like it will work fairly good, just check your state regulations though on the bass part.

14. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    Rodney,first take the BASS and run then through a meat grinder.Second,buy a block of longhorn cheese and run this through the meat grinder.Third,put this into a large coffee can and cover with cheese cloth.Fourth,set this out in the sun for about a week.This done,get some sponge hooks,with leaders, and head for the lake.It works great,just use rubber gloves and wear clothes you don't mind parting with cause this stuff stinks,gasoline won't even take the smell off.However,the channel cats think it smells like ??? well,I don't know,but they like it.

15. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I never had much luck with stinky stuff other than old chicken livers. But I've never used bass fillets either. So, I guess there's only one way to find out. And be sure to let me in on it if they do work, what you catch and how big. No matter how emberrassing...:big_smile:

-Red

16. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Hog Wild Premo, I have had more luck with this then any other bait. You will find though that works in one body of water will not always work in another. Stink bait is funny like that.

17. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    90% of the Catfish that you see me with in the photos that I post, were caught with a Dip-Baits call "Wicked Sticky" & "G & S", and I've been using those baits for years now. The members that use these Dip-Baits will agree that they are some good Dip-Baits. So if the waters that you fish in have big Channels in it, those baits will catch them.
    :0a23:
    So if you were to look at my photos in the Gallary, you will know that I don't think Dip-Baits are waste of time. :big_smile:

You guys take care,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I have no doubt that prepared baits work for some people in some waters, but I've tried them several times on both rod & reel and on my jugs, and have yet to catch the first catfish on that type bait. The jugs seemed as especially good test, because I had three hooks on each jug, only one of which was baited with prepared bait; the other two were baited with fresh shad. And yes, I caught catfish on the fresh shad, while not getting a bite on the stinkbait.

19. ~Charles~

~Charles~ New Member

State:
    Texas
    Premo BLood is the best in my eye i got 5 catfish within 20 mins :lol:

20. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I myself never had any luck with prepared baits from a store. But like was said earlier check your laws first on using bass for bait.