Stinger setup.

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by jagdoctor1, Jul 28, 2008.

1. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I was looking to adjust my setup a bit and am not sure i understand the stinger setup quite right. Could someone please explain and pictures would be awesome!

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack

3. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Thanks, that is pretty much what I was thinking it was. I heard the phrase 2 hook rig and stinger rig used seperately and was wondering if there was something special to the stinger rig.One thing I was considering was doing the same thing but having the second hook as a large treble. I was going to just leave the treble exposed floating behind a live bait purpose being to be able to set the hook on any live bait hit I got.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    This was a common set up with the treble when bait fishing offshore for king Mackerel and such.The treble or any second hook was normally on a short leader attached to the hook or leader above.

They sell large hooks with needle eyes that are made to thread through the eyes of other hooks for a "two-Hook"rig.The eye of the trailing hook must be of a size that the barb of the leading hook will not go through.

Some hooks had a soft enough temper that you could spread the eye of a hook enough by driving a small taper pin or center punch through the eye enough to get the flowering hook on it and then close the eye back with SOFT JAWED pliers.Any burs will cut or abrade any line tied to the hook.Check your work with a magnifying glass and correct any burrs with a jewelers file.Do not clean up and smooth your work and you will loose it.This all must be done carefully as you can do some severe damage to your hands or body when a tool slips.This is experience talking and I have the scars as proof.

If you decide that you are going to do the above regularly,you can modify and make tools to help.

For the second hook to be used to also stick in your bait,the hooks are often turned in the same directions.For the second hook to dangle free,they are usually facing the opposite direction.The shape of and the desired hooking of the bait often decides this.It is up to you and your use.A following treble is rigged the same ways with one hook rigged in or out as suits you,the method of your use and the way the treble hooks are made.

The cheaper lighter made hooks of all types are bad about bending and breaking when used in these methods.For heavy duty use and strain,I recommend the heavy made stronger hooks.Where you are going to get hung up,I would use the cheaper lighter hooks.These rigs will increase your chance of hanging up on structure and bottom tremendously.I recommend them for unobstructed water.

I mostly made my "Trailers" with single strand wire leader material using the simple "Hay Wire Twist" as I found this the cheapest,easiest and quickest method for me.We are all different and what you have to do it with or like will be best for you.You can make them up with all other lines,leader material and methods to suit you.

I have used these rigs day in and day out off the Florida,Georgia and Carolina Coasts for 50+ years to Bait fish the Pelagic fishes.They greatly increased my hookup with these fast striking species.For the slower biting fish,I think that they often hurt the bite and hookup as I believe many fish mouth baits at times and feel hooks.Other times when they fed aggressively,I think it helped.I also think they work much better for slow bottom fish in swift fresh or salt water than they do in still fresh or salt water.In the North East USA and Canada with the 15-30 foot tides and swift water they did much better than the South East USA and Gulf for me bottom fishing.I figure most fish up North are Grabbing at your bait as the current rushes them by as they did worse when the tide was slack.Now the Cod Fish eat the Lobsters with their sharp spines,so It really don't figure that they feel and spit out the hook.The hooks are fished exposed in your bait!

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The Wild Wolf site pictures look exactly like many rigs that I have made.They look to be well made,have a fine assortment and look to be very reasonably priced in my opinion.You figure in the cost of materials,the labor seems to be very reasonable.

I got to using a thin 12 inch wire leader even on Bluegill hooks and lures as toothy Chain Pickerel and Bow-fin often hit our lures and small to large bream when being reeled in.Also,a 5-10 lb.Bow Fin will hit a single small cricket or worm when you are bream fishing.Our Bullheads also have fine teeth that will abraid mono.My fishing and toothy fish led me to wire as I also used the same rigs for salt and fresh water fishing.Some of my old rigs have caught fish out of both.

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Please tell me about the wire you are using for a leader. I kinda like that idea but have never had enough info to try it.
    thanks
    just

7. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Go to Bass pro on line catalog.Co to "Search" and enter "Leader",look for Offshore Angler leader wire.Click on it.It comes in 200 foot coils.Diameter runs from .011-.029 and test runs from 29 lb. to 180 lb.Now this is a sample as I have bought it also by the pound from many sources over the years including Bass Pro and Cabela's.

I use the simple haywire twist and break off the ends by wiggling it back and forth.The weak link in it is that it will kink and break at times.You often have to straighten it.There are special tools to make it easier to make them but it is easy to learn to do with a pair of needle nose wire cutting pliers.Careful as the little wire will stick you like a needle.

This has saved me many dollars worth of lures of all types and so paying for itself many times over due to Red Fin Pike,Chain Pickerel and Bow-fin in our waters.I even use the small in a 12 inch for 1/32 ultra-lite jigs and lures.

I put small swivel snaps on one end and a loop on the other.I put larger swivel snaps on the ones for crank baits and spinner baits.This wire is Stainless Steel and I use them for saltwater also.

I hope this helps.

8. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    That's alot of info thanks alot! I am going to try something like this pretty soon. Lately no bites so it didn't matter hehe.