Stinger rigs for blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by fishinjunky, May 2, 2007.

1. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i know this is not a popular technique for cats but it seems like it would work so well on finicky fish. for those who don't know a stinger rig is a bigger hook at the front of the bait, with a smaller stinger hook attached on a second leader coming from the bigger hook. i have tried this once on flatheads and caught a 40 pound snapping turtle. but have not tried it on blues. just seeing if anyone else has thought of this, or is using it.

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have not found a reason yet to use a stinger hook for catfish. I do know that some people use them fishing for flathead because sometimes they use very large baitfish, and two hooks is useful for one in the head, and one in the tail.

3. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY

I don't know Matt, sometimes the cats here bite half heartedly. Kind if mouthing the bait and letting go, maybe a stinger rig might do the trick when the bite goes finicky.

4. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    :0a36: If anyone else has a different suggestion I'm all ears...

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The fish I caught last weekend were just barely moving the tip of my pole. Was using light action spinning gear. Picked up the pole, and tag, fish on. No stinger, and the bite was very light. Use a kahle hook. Hook up for me is almost 100% with channel cats, and what few blues I've managed to catch. A stinger would be great for BIG bait, might be good for small bait too, just haven't found a need for it yet.

6. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I will be out tomorrow, i will try two poles with one hook and two poles with stingers and see what kind of success I have.

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I use it regularly.

8. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY

As always I appreciate the advice.....

9. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    When we drift fish for blues, which is basically all we do, we always use stinger rigs. And more than half the fish are caught on the second hook.

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I use one 80% of the time.
    Drift fishing or controlled drift fishing I use one almost all the time.
    Pete

11. bluebruiser at james

bluebruiser at james New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sounds like it probraly would work..I live on the chesepeake bay,and i use
    stingers all the time but for cobia/shark..But im sure it would work for blues too.:confused2:

12. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    well just got back and have amazing results. ended up catching nothing on the regular slip sinker rigs, and caught 3 blues, 2 channels, 2 bullheads, and 7 carp on the stingers. this was out of 3 hours of fishing with biggest cat at 12 pounds and the biggest carp at 17 pounds. I had no idea it would make that big of a difference, all were caught on cut carp, the carp caught on worms. i did have bites on the one hook rigs but could never get a good hookset.