Stinger hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Mac-b, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    When using large (over 6") baits (live or dead), how many of you use trailing or stinger hooks? If so, how large a stinger hook do you use? Also, do you have more hang ups with stinger hooks than with a regular catfish rig? Thanks for all replies.

2. bank bouncer

bank bouncer New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    March issue of In-Fisherman mag. has an article on stinger hooks, you might get some handy info.

3. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    This fall I tried treble hook stingers in a big way fishing large cut baits on the Potomac River. My experience was that all they did was double hook fish, make a mess of the dip net and tear up my hands. Tim Hagan turned me on to using smaller chunks of bait while they are biting short and I haven't used them since. My experience, take it for what it's worth.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I may give them a try this year, but I am trying to come up with a good way to rig one that will insure a strong hook-up.

There are some times with certain baits where I think it would be beneficial.

5. bank bouncer

bank bouncer New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    The article talks about tying stinger to circle hooks and baiting the stinger not the main hook which allows for a better hookset, they say.

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I use them years ago and fine that just as special liberty said you do make a mess of things at times. When I get days when fish don't ready take the bait all that well. I start useing small bait on the same size hook. This does two thing 1. It makes the bigger fish take the bait into his mouth more to taste it and you can set the hook then 2. It also stops to smaller cats from getting hooked as they can get the bigger hook into their mouths smaller bait with smaller hook will get you a lot of gutt hooked fish. I have taken fish 2 pounds up to 40 lbs on a 2" cut bait with 7/0 kahle hooks and have not had one gutt hook fish so far.

One other big trouble with the trailer hook they show in the article is if you hook a bigger fish say only by the trailer the way they use it. the line you tied it with better be good or you may not get to see that fish. Plus they is two more knots you need to tie and small ones at that.

7. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Study the methods the saltwater fisherman use, there is a lot to be learned from them, as far as rigging baits.

8. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have used them tied using the snell knot, however I am not convinced if they have ever helped me ofr not. As always I will continue to experment.