Stinger (assist) hooks for catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by patrickgd, Dec 29, 2008.

1. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I resently saw on a Bill Dance catfishing episode where he mentioned that when the cats are biting weird and your missing fish to try a 4/0 stinger assist hook rig. The stinger rigs are designed primarily for vertical jigging. I was wondering if anyone has tried them for still fishing. I bet they would do well for drifting but could increase snags I suppose. anyway has anyone on here had success using them for catfishing?
    If so please share the good, bad and indifferent! :wink:

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    been useing them a good bit here on te the tenn at wheeler

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Probably not good unless your fishing for keepers.

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    I usually add stingers during the winter months when the fish seem to be short-striking (I drift fish). I believe that on one trip earlier this year we caught 90-something percent of the fish on the stinger hooks. But when the fish are more active (warm weather months) the stingers are not usually necessary.

5. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i first seen this when i fished with phil king he said the same thing when the bite was soft a trailing hook would help land more cats

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I use 4/0 behind an 8/0 quiet often when fishing. The 4/0 stinger will catch a lot of short strikes. Some times when the fish pick up the bait and then lay it down without taking it they work well.

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Patrick,,I have used the stinger hook on bigger baits during the summer months,not much though.didn't do much good with them so i decided to go without them.

But If I were drifting, these Short Shank Wide gap weedless hooks by Gamakatsu are the stuff. Super limp/strong/ wire protector makes this hook pretty good IMHO,add one of these what-ever distance behind your main hook and I can gaurantee more hook-ups. With 0 snag's on this hook:wink:

Attached Files: