Stillwater Creek or Muskingum River?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by cheezemm2, Mar 24, 2008.

1. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Also going to give these rivers a shot this year. Pike Island is a 2 hour drive for me, so I'm looking at some of the closer options.

1) What is the furthest point North that I can fish for flatties in the Stillwater? Urichsville?

2) I have no idea where to launch a kayak in either of these rivers? Are there good/safe public ramps for the Muskingum or Stillwater that you guys could recommend?

I've got to start planning my weekends out now before anyone decides to get married this year! I think I'm going to more wedding than fishing trips in the month of April!:angry:

2. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I cannot think of an unsafe place to launch a Kayak or leave a car on the Muskingum. I have personally used Coshocton, Dresden, Ellis, Riverside, Philo, Luke Chute, Beverly, Lowell, and Devola with nary a problem.

If you are ever going to be on the Coshocton, Dresden, Ellis or Riverside, heck even Philo ramp area call me and let me know. If you ever have an emergency, call me (740) 502-1017

I have a jet and friends with jets, we can get to you if you are cold and/or wet or in a bit of a problem.

Good Luck,

Shawn(OH)

4. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    BTW, Welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfisherman.

5. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds like the Muskingum might be the better river for the yak. Coshocton is still a shorter drive by 45 mins each way. It looks like I will be Muskingum bound a couple times this year!

Do I have to worry about any dams cutting off the flatties northward or is Coshocton a good starting point?

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    jim coshocton is an excellent place to put in. dresden is the next town. i think it is 16.7 miles maybe from the coshocton boat ramp to the dresden one. the first dam you will encounter is Ellis Dam south of dresden. which im not sure on the exact miles, but more than you probably want to do in a days time anyways. bring your smallmouth stuff.. there is some excellent smallie fishing between coshocton and dresden that doesn't get pressured too much. let us know when you are going to plan a trip, maybe a couple of us will be out on the water that day, if you are planning on a night trip, I would not recommend a kayak unless you are gonna use it before dark to set up from the bank somewhere. there is alot of boaters at night during the summer here, and i personally think that could be alittle dangerous.....goodluck to you...rollo

7. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The area south of Coshocton sounds like a little bit of heaven....quiet and fishy!

I can see that I'm going to need some pictures of the kayak fully rigged for flattie fishing at night with a stern light to do some convincing:wink:

In all seriousness though, I do not take my own personal safety lightly. If there are boats running wide open, I will not fish in the channels, but look for undercuts/jams with steep dropoffs from the bank to fish during the twilight hours. (same strategy as the Ohio) Be more than happy to join some of you guys for a day of fishing...

Now if I can just figure out to start North or South of Coshoction! CAN SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE IT STOP RAINING! I THINK I'M GOING TO GO NUTS!

Luckily I have the Ohio Canal nearby loaded with carp in Akron...can at least get some cut bait ready:confused2:

8. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    It depends on how serious a Kayaker you are. Coshoct on is not that large. From the north ramp to the south ramp is MAYBE 2 miles max. So ad another 45 minutes to your trip. There is good fishing anywhere in that area.

As I told you earlier, a lot of jets run it and a jet only performs wide open. Most of us are fairly safe but guys like Luckey might scare the heck out of ya! He runs wide open little to no light and from what I hear, no joke, doesn't even stop for bridge columns.....

I would not even consider fishing from a Kayak all night, but if you hang to the edges... oc course like I said, islands and good shallow shoreline litter that area.

Have fun!

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    channels? lol...you may wanna come scout the girl out first in the day, this upper end is the worst stretch in the whole system. it is very shallow at certain times and rugged. there isn't even a defined river channel in places. if you come when the river is elevated alittle would be your best bet, but when things get low, better watch for them idiots on plane that refuse to give an inch to anyone due to the low water...rollo

10. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good stuff to know guys...The more information the better.

I draft 3" of water at the most, so I should be able to hang extremely tight to the shoreline, but will definitely take the advice seriously.

Long and short of it, I don't plan on fishing in the middle of the river during night hours. That's just asking for trouble! I'm a little boat and little boats don't play nice with big boats:eek:oooh:

Starting to look through the pictures of the river and getting excited to give it a whirl this spring!:smile2:

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    You'll be allright a little off the bank as long as you contact Loanwizard, Rollo, and Luckey before you leave and let them know you might be anchored out there somewhere lol.

12. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    Thanks for your digits Shawn...I'll be calling.....:tounge_out:

13. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Sweetie, those "digits" are available to the WWW.

Wanna buy a car? I'll give you a sweetheart of a deal lol!

14. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio

No thanks bro, I've got three pieces of sh*t sittin' in my driveway as it is!

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    NOW thats some funny sh%T!!!!!!:smile2: rollo

16. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    Shawn, you know I'm just funnin' ya....right?

:tounge_out:

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jim, you wont have to worry about many boats at night on the Coshocton to Ellis stretch. You can throw a rock across it if you have a good arm. It's to shallow and loaded with rocks and timber. If you are not careful you could get hung up in the middle some places at normal water levels. Below Ellis lock it could be bad epically on the weekends. These two parts of the river are like day and night. If you want to go on a littel further the Tuscarawrus Walhounding join to make the Mighty Muskingum. Good places to enter both.

18. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They used to be available only on restroom walls! lmao:crazy::smile2::smile2: