Still wont turn over with new battery

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by gearhead, Oct 23, 2006.

1. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I posted thread about best new battery and went to autozone i purchased the big dual purpose duralast marine starter battery ,got it home put the charger on for a few hours before fishing trip got to the lake and click ,click ,click nothing. but one pull start it fires right up . could it be a ground, everything seems tight ,the other morning it was 32 deg with the old battery not charged it turned over slightly.thats why i just got a new big battery . New battery dosent say starter battery on it the salesman said it was .I havent checked for sure to see if the starter is kicking in but i thought it was clickin pretty hard. what do you guys think.

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    probably a starter going bad,sounds like a armature dragging you could do a amp draw test on the starter it will tell you if the starter is bad

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yep, it is connected to the starter. I thought possibly a solenoid. Just had my starter rebuild this summer for a cool $50.00 but cheaper than a new one.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You need to test that solenoid before throwing parts at it. It could be the solenoid or the starter. If in fact it is the starter then take it off and take it to an automotive starter rebuild shop. It will be a whole lot cheaper.

If you don't know how to check the solenoid post here and I'll see if I can write up an understandable procedure for you.

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Jeremy the feed wire to your solinoid is heavy guage , and the feed wire from your solinoid to your starter is heavy gauge. Take one lead of your jumper cable set and go from big to big on the unit. If it arcs and your starter drives it's solinoid time. The smaller gauge wires are the control loop for the solinoid coil. Make sense? All the magnetic coil does is make contact for your load. Easy test if you know yer batt is hot. Something good to know.
    :wink:

6. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I took the cover off and bumped the key today and the stater gear poped up and ingaged the flywheel or ring gear and then stayed up when i let off the key, i got it to disengage and wiped a little oil on the shaft and spring, turned the engine over slightly then just quit and would just click, new battery fully charged .seems to only turn over slightly when cold or very first bump when engines warm nothing .

7. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Could well be corroded cable ends, or maybe the starter needs cleaned. Sounds as if the starter will run the bendix up to the starter ring and then stick, it's a low voltage deal. This can usually be found by using basic testing procedures. loose or corroded connections/bad cable/ starter bearings dry and corroded. This is of course assuming your new battery is good. Later Andy

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Gear shouldn't "stick". Check it for roughness/cracks. Check ring gear for same. If one is scored & if you don't catch it quick....contagious like mental illness......the ring gear is usually a harder temper steel than the starter drive. If you are lucky you'll find a booger on the starter drive gear. But the spring tension should disingage it from the ring gear....might be a gear not elect. problem. Use a small amount of brake cleaner to get a good look. (small amount). Then re-oil. Don't let it frustrate. Not like yer stranded on the roof and the boat won't start.....be a cool tool. On the electrical just use a test light on yer connections. It will be dim if corrosion is a problem. See how bright it is at the batt and compare at yer terminations. Stay with it buddy. We all play with the chin whiskers...
    :cool2:

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    BEFORE all the parts work I would have the battery checked.A battery can show 12 volts and not have enough amps to turn the motor.See what your motor calls for ie starting amps.Mine is a 200 hp Optimax and requires 1000 cranking amps.Do a load test on your battery first, which any auto store will do for free.Never assume that because something is new that it is "Good".:big_smile:

10. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    It sounds to me like the starter is shot. Thats just my 2 cents tho.
    Bill