still up in NY goin out tomorrow for giant carp.

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by 514th, Jul 3, 2008.

1. 514th

514th New Member

State:
    arizona
    there are some seriously large like 30 plus pound carp up here and since there are no cats im gonna try my luck tomorrow. i found a wierd recipe for carp dough balls and tweaked it a little. hopin to catch a few small ones to freeze for cut bait for my trip down to AZ and also hopin to catch a few of the mosters ive seen other people catchin around here. if my dough ball recipe works ill post it so you all can use it to help out catchin bait. :smile2:

2. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Carp arent anything you have to bring here, thats for sure. Theres a million of them . Just find yourself an area thas sandy with some plant matter and there should be hundreds of them.

3. 514th

514th New Member

State:
    arizona
    i realize there are tons of carp down in AZ, i just like to show up where im fishing prepared with bait so i dont have to waste as much catfish time catching bait. the dough ball recipe worked fairly well didnt catch any small enough to cut and freeze though. i did catch some large ones the biggest was about thirty pounds. i will post pics if i can ever figure out how to work it and once i see what the pics look like that my wife took. shes kind of a questionable photographer.:dribble:

4. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    What? Ain't there no stripers around there?

5. 514th

514th New Member

State:
    arizona
    around the area where i am there are no stripers, theres small and largemouth bass (which i really dont like fishing for much) trout/salmon (not my thing) pike/musky( pretty cool hard to actually find). and bullheads, and obviously perch and sunfish. no real channel cats to be found unless you have a boat and hit up lake ontario and the saint lawrence river. so im stuck with carp for large fish action. because they are accessible, and huge.

6. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    In my opinion, live bait works so much better its not even worth dealing with frozen cut bait unless thats all youve got. I would actually say that a gob of worms would work better than frozen cut bait more often than not.
    I equate it to eating leftovers, you dont do it unless you have to.:big_smile:

7. 514th

514th New Member

State:
    arizona
    almost all of my largest channel cats have been caught on cut bluegill or carp.only once have i caught a channel cat over 8 pounds on worms. so i like to be prepared with cut bait, and i bring worms, and catch live bait too. like i said i just like to be prepared with a variety of baits. i enjoy catching bait too so its a win win.

8. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I'm not disagreeing that live bait is better than cut bait but i have caught more than a dozen fish over 50 lbs on carp cut bait. My PB i caught in 1998 on cut carp at Roosie. I have never caught a big flatty on a gob of worms and god knows i have used enough gobs of worms over the years to fill a small lake. :big_smile: I think i have caught more Flats over 50# on live bait but i sure wouldn't choose worms over cutbait.

9. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Hey Travis, how big are your pieces of carp that you use?? Just Curious

10. Lenny The Lamb

Lenny The Lamb New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey Chummer, I used to think you were probably an alright guy, but the dozen fish over 50lbs has me wondering if I like you anymore. For a guy dreaming about that first monster, that just isn't even fair. My problem is they aren't going to come to my house or work, or the hockey rink, so for now I can only dream.

11. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    For Flatheads the smallest peice i usually use is about the size of a pack of cigs(say about 2"X3"). The biggest would be a little bigger than a hand sized bluegill(maybe 6"x8"). If i am using a big head i usually crack it in half.
    I haven't really found any different luck in different sizes, more so the condition of the carp and the weather which seems to make it work or not. HTH

12. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I've never been an alright guy. :smile2: Da Chummer, Da Jerk. It's all the same.