Still Tearin' Up Roosevelt Lake

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by SilencedMajority, Oct 29, 2006.

1. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Me and Alex (patton) were out on the upper salt just above Roosevelt Lake last night again. ALOT of wind made most of the night very, very cold but I managed to land three more flattys. First I caught a 41 Inch 30.5lb flatty off of a live bluegill. Later I landed a 43 Inch 42.5 lb flathead on a ball of worms on a circle hook. That was a battle because he took the worms on my medium light rod with 20lb mono, it felt like I was hauling up a log! Then about 3 a.m. my clicker was screaming, and after tangling all our lines up I finally beached a fat 48 incher that topped out our 55lb scale easily. He was a very fine fish, and gave up a long fight after taking that 5 inch long sunfish on a kahle. Overall, another great night, but I learned how much I hate wind. It was blowing through my clothes all night.

Attached Files:

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Very nice fish!! Way to go! What size Kahle hook were you using?

3. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I think it might seem small, but for live bait I'm using 5/0 Eagle Claw Bronze with a slight offset and an upeye so I can snell it. Total over the last few weeks with the Kahles, I've had 7 runs and landed 5 fish from those runs, all fish being over 30lbs. The hooks do bend like crazy though, since they are thin wire, they will usually only survive one big fish.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Man, that does seem pretty small. I use 10/0 King Kahles, but as long as those are working for you there is no reason to change I guess.

What part of the mouth is the hook usually in?

My 10/0's are always in the corner or thru the bottom of thier mouth for some reason.

5. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    In the last three weeks that I've been catching, out of five big fish, 3 had the hook right in the corner, one had it near the corner just in the top of the mouth, and one 30lber wasn't even really hooked. I landed him with the line through his mouth, out his gills and the hook barely stuck in his side. He was caught on a small live sunfish, you think he inhaled everything so hard it came out through his gills?

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I see, that is strange how you hooked that 30lber, I would say that yeah he tried to swallow the bait and it went out of his gills or something.

7. Picksecky

Picksecky New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey Antonio...Congratulations, what a great night of fishing. I'm headed for Roosevelt Tues or Wed. Did you launch at Schoolhouse or Windy Hill? I'm going to try to stay out all nite, but will probably freeze out if it is windy.

8. Picksecky

Picksecky New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Just looked at the pictures on your post and obviously you were shore fishing
    so you can't answer my launching question. If anyone else can, let me know.
    Great pictures, great fish!!!!!!!!!!!

9. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Nice catch Antonio.thanks for posting.........

10. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Congrats Antonio, that's a nice bunch of flatties. Vern

11. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Tony,

You and your bros are going to town on those flatties. It is so good to hear that your still nailing them. :big_smile:

I may just be going fishing on the weekend of the 11th. I don't know yet. I think I still have a little unfinished business to do yet. I just hope those fish are still biting when I go.

Keep up the good work man. Your are becoming quite the flattie hunter.

Ryan

12. skunkedagain

skunkedagain New Member

State:
    OHIO
    very nice stringer congrats.also looked like you were fishing from bank.I cant catch that nice of fish from boat let alone bank.

13. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    great night!! glad to see that they are still upriver and hungry. WHat a night of flatties action..

14. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks for the pics bro! Glad to see you all are still gettin 'em up there.

15. Patton

Patton New Member

State:
    Mesa, Arizona
    Ya saturday night was crazy with the wind chill still cant get those flattys to bite any of my bait but ill take the assists on tonys catches lip gripped all 3 of them.

16. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Nice catch guys.. I can't wait to get back out there...

17. tricksec

tricksec New Member

Very nice! Its good to hear they are still at it there.

18. AZrivercat

AZrivercat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Good Job Man! I know what you mean about the wind I finally got out to Bartlett last week and the wind was howling and amazingly cold, I live in Prescott and I havent been that cold yet up here. I was skunked, but its great to see theres still a bite going on.

19. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    hey guys good job on the big flats, whats the water temp been over there, been around 70 at the river and havnt been getting any thing worth talking about

20. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I'd say the river was around 70 as well, it felt a tiny bit chilly to the touch when it was light out, and a little warm when it was blowing below 50. I will try to get a water thermometer for next time.