Still Spawning on the Cumberland

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Puddycat, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Puddycat

Puddycat New Member

State:
    Clarksville,TN
    This may sound a little weird but is it possible that cats are still on the spawn on the Cumberland? The last several trips out, over a three week period have been somewhat disappointing to say the least and the fish we do catch appear to still be full of eggs. Has anyone else been experiencing the same thing or am I just have a very bad run of it lately.

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Yep, Monday night we got no bites at all. But they should be done now. I have a friend that said his neighbor was fishing in 50 foot of water below the steamplant and caught several last weekend. Water temps below the steamplant were between 89 and 92 degrees the other night. Ernest do you know where Lock B is yet? We're gonna go over tonight and give it a try up that way. PM me if you need directions for this weekend.

3. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Puddycat, most of the fish that my Dad and I caught last Monday morning were still full of eggs also. At least the larger ones. We had a couple 1 pounders and 5 in the 3-6 lb. range. We were jugging in closer to the bank on the westside of the river in 15-20 of water.

4. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    i was down at lock b yesterday and there was a man and his wife fishing about the middle of lock b. he was using cut up shad and was catching a nice mess of channel cats there. they were fishing from the bank and was throwing straight out in the channel.

5. Puddycat

Puddycat New Member

State:
    Clarksville,TN
    Me and Michael did some juggin' last night right in front of Riverside using livers and crawlers. Most of the channels we caught were full of eggs. The water was around 80 deg.

6. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Stephens, were they on the eastside of the river right across from the boat ramp? I noticed some people fishing there from some rock slabs when my Dad and I fished there on Monday. I couldn't tell if they were catching or not.

7. keith

keith New Member

State:
    ohio
    I would like to tell you anything about fish from the ohio river, but I still can't catch any, maybe next time, lol

8. TNBigCat

TNBigCat New Member

State:
    TN
    I fished from Friday to Wed all in the evenings and early mornings and caught 1 or 2 each time we went and all weighed about 2 pounds each. Each day I tried to use several different baits from shrimp, minnows, stinkbait, worms, and liver, none did better than the other. I had even made a trip to the steamplant to catch skipjack and had not one bite. I have heard and saw alot of guys dropping nets and baskets off the edge catching the larger shad closer to the bottom. When we did go fishing each time we tried some place different anywhere from 7 Mile Ferry road to Dover and it seemed no place was different than the other not to mention that the water was as still as ever. Several days I got so frustrated that I even wanted to hang the poles up. My next trip will be to Paris Landing for the weekend and see how I do. Lets hope the fishing picks up soon before I start to question my ability to fish.:sad2:

9. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    they were on the west side of the river over by lock b road south its just above the boat ramp over there. i saw some people jugging this morning at the dam but couldnt tell if they were catching any fish.

10. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    Some of the channels that i caught last weekend had eggs in them. Others didn't.
    It was the first time in a few weeks that we caught any channels tho, so i'm guessing many are coming/have finished spawning. These fish were caught in the morning....between 7am and 11am....that stupid work thing keeps me from fishin much during the week right now...:sad2:

cyas
    rc

11. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    well we had 2 full moons this past saturday and sunday so maybe those cats droped there eggs and went back out deep