Still some good people with no regrets

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by haligan225, Jul 14, 2009.

1. haligan225

haligan225 New Member

State:
    texas
    I just want to share a story with everyone on the BOC. I hope that Guide Cliff Hill doesnt mind me mentioning his name in this story. This fishing trip took place back in the first part of June. This would be my second trip with Cliff on Choke Canyon. One of the reasons for this trip was to take my wife's little cousin on a fishing trip. Her little cousin's dad really doesn't do a whole lot with him, his dad is like some that think deer camp is for grown ups, and his parents have been on the verge of splitting up. So I decided to take him on this trip to help him get away. Our trip was to take place on Saturday morning. I woke up Sat. morning around 5 or so and noticed that I had missed a call from Cliff a little bit earlier before I had awaken. I listened to his message and he said that he was running a little late since his truck had broke down on him, but said that he was making arrangements and would definately be there so we could make our trip!! Cliff had exited south out of San Antonio headed our way when all of a sudden he said his dash lights went dark and he had no power steering, he said that he managed to get his truck pulled off to the side of the road, and THEN started making calls so he would be able to keep our appointment. As he is making his calls, another truck pulls up behind Cliff, now he did not know who in the world this could be, esp since it was around 4 in the morning. The truck that pulled up behind Cliff was a gentleman and his brother in law. They had been on a fishing trip with Cliff on Wednesday of that same week. After talking a few minutes, Cliff said that he was trying to get a hold of his dad to come help him etc. One of the men said no, get in my truck, my ranch is just down the road a few miles back. The gentleman said, I have a ranch truck that you are more than welcome to take and make your trip. He said that he would be out of town for a week, and pretty much insisted that Cliff take his truck and use it that week til he could get back and get his fixed. This act of kindness and respect this day and time is rare, especially with someone that one may have only met a couple days earlier. This act of kindness and trust just goes to show you that there are still some good people and restores the faith in man that all too often has been lost in this crazy world we live in that seems to get crazier each and every day. Just want to say SPECIAL THANK YOU to two gentleman that I will probably never have the chance to meet, and to Cliff for the perserverence of making that trip happen, when we all know too well it would have just been easier to just call and cancel. They helped make a day to remember especially for my wife's cousin. If anyone has ever wanted to fish Choke Canyon, I would HIGHLY recommend yall give Cliff a call.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Welcome to the BOC.
    You will find a lot of people like that here on this site.

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    that man that helped clif,a person he didnt know,will probably have the largest funeral that part of the world has ever seen.that is the mark of a true gentelman.

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Its not very often you meet people like that. I can say I have met very few people like that in this world. Most everyone is out for themselves and wouldn't even have pulled over. Well how did your trip go? Did you catch any fish? Welcome to the BOC. Andrew

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Great story and thats how life long friendships are made sometimes. 3 years ago i went to Kansas to turkey hunt. The day before (evening actually) a tie rod i had replaced lost the nut off it and jumped out. I managed to get the joint back in place and zippie tied it. Limped to a farmers house i had never met trying to find a nut for it. No luck but the guy wouldn't have it any other way than for me to take an ole car he had and use it the next morning. I've stayed in contact with this man every since that day. Oh yhea, next day he took me to buy a tie rod and showed me his ground to hunt. Lots of good folks left if ya take time to find them.

6. haligan225

haligan225 New Member

State:
    texas
    SGTREDNECK, First of all I want to THANK YOU and ALL the other soldiers for all that yall do and allow us to enjoy the freedom that we have. Without yall we would not be able to do the things we enjoy that are too often taken for granted by so many. Again, THANK YOU. Our trip was great, we ended up with a 3 limits of 75 fish, but caught many more. Enjoyed many laughs and made some memories. One of the funniest things, was my wife's cousin insisted on me taking him spotlighting the nite before, I told him that we would have to get up early, he said he could handle it. We were out on lake fishing, Cliff and I were talking and watching his bobber, his bobber went down numerous times we would look over and he would be asleep leaned up against the centerconsole, the fish would finally pull hard enough to wake him, but by that time was gone. It was a great trip.

7. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    great stories everyone enjoy reading them

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Dave,
    Good to see you on this site as well. Cliff is an excellent guy. He is a vet who I have had several conversations with. He is the guy who talked me into guiding. I have never seen him in person, but can tell you right now I would drive down there from Waco just to give him a jump start or tow or kidney if he asked.
    Good luck and keep in touch

9. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    he's a great guy, Cliff, spoke w/him on many occasions....never fished w/him yet, but we will sometime....he used to be on here but somebody took advantage so he asked to be taken off is the story i was told...you can find him on the texas fishing forum

10. haligan225

haligan225 New Member

State:
    texas
    Cliff is great guy, have had many conversations with him. Definately a class act. Yes Willcat he can be found on TX fishing forum.

11. haligan225

haligan225 New Member

State:
    texas
    GMC FishHauler, I hear ya loud and clear there, I would be the same way if he needed something. You be careful over there, and have quick and safe trip back home.

12. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    Cool story, Cliff seems to be the same kind of person. I have not had an opportunity to fish with him yet but he has been really courtious and offered me catfishing advise for nothing (most guides dont do this). I ended up booking a trip with him late this month..soo looking forward to it.

Sooo how did yall do? Any big fish?

13. haligan225

haligan225 New Member

State:
    texas
    Wac M Trac M, yes Cliff is that type, you wont be disappointed. I have fished with him three times this summer, every time caught good numbers of fish, the biggest was probably around 6 lbs or so, I think we are going to plan a trip to Tawok this fall and try for some big uns. What part TX are you in if you dont mind me asking?

14. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Earl, you my kinda man. You welcome at my house, in my boat, stand or any other place ya wanna be,

15. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm in Wimberley TX...I'm 20 min from Canyon Lake or New Braunfels were Cliff hails.

16. haligan225

haligan225 New Member

State:
    texas
    Sweet, nice country down there, alot of neat lil places to get cold beverage also. I get down through there pretty regular esp during hunting season. You get up toward the brownwood area holler.

17. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    Cool, I hunt year round. Just took 3 big old boars off a property last night..they were trying to get in a chicken coop..They didn'y pay me no mind till the second one fell..lol