Still Shootin

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by derail, Aug 2, 2008.

1. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    Was just curious how many of my fellow bow shooters still game hunt with a firearm as well as their bows? I know folks that have gone as far as ridding themselves of even owning a firearm after picking up a bow. I have used firearms since childhood, just recently getting my bow. I plan on doing both for a long time.:big_smile:

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've killed 14 deer, 2 hogs and a corsican ram with a bow. Last year i killed my PB with a rifle. I love to bow hunt but i also like shootin a rifle. I see traditional shooters bad mouth us compound shooters, but i never seen one ridin a pony wearin a breach cloth either.:eek:oooh: Far as i'm concerned a man should hunt however he wants as long as it's ethical.

3. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I dont rifle junt very much anymore but i still have all my rifles. I like to bow hunt so much i just dont need to shoot them with a gun. Unless i miss with the bow and then you know i have to have some deer:wink:

4. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Still use bow, muzzleloader, and rifle.

5. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Don't matter what you shoot----- as long as you shoot---- and do it fair.

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hell i couldn't imagine getting rid of one to only use the other. i love bowhunting but you have to draw the line somewhere! i know a few who won't rifle hunt over the bow, but man it comes down to the main part- it's hunting! i hunt all year with all my weapons, i live for it. i love hearing a bullet smack a deer, shot wringing a goose's neck, or a broadhead punching into anything. hunting is my drug of choice!

7. mrowe84

mrowe84 New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I still look forward to rifle season every year. It's a nice change of pace to set up for 300 yd. shots instead of 30. Still doesn't have quite the adrenaline rush though.

8. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I usually bowhunt here in Minnesota, mainly because there are some pretty choice archery-only areas here and they're a lot less busy than the rest of the public land. When the rut rolls around, you'll find me at the family land in Nebraska with a 30-30 sitting across my lap. In December, I drop some powder and a ball down the muzzle of a .54 Hawken. After deer season, I wander through the woods with a .410 looking for squirrels... if I'm not ice fishing.

I use a traditional bow, but I never badmouth guys with compounds. It might be a little easier to be accurate with a compound, but the wheels don't extend your range that far. You still have to be a good hunter to get close, and that's what matters. I just like my longbow better, that's all.

I also shoot a traditional muzzleloader, and I don't rip on the guys shooting in-lines. If it weren't for in-lines, we wouldn't have a separate muzzleloader season here. Different strokes for different folks, man. As long as it's legal and fair, do what makes you happy.

9. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    So far ya'll think the same way I do, just like to get out and hunt. The more options I have the happier I am.:wink:

10. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I do it all, and have just as much a rush with each. Bottom line is I love to hunt. Heck I love to just sit there and watch all them critters.

11. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I agree, but I still like my recurves best. #129 and counting!

12. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    My weapon of choice is the bow. Has been for 11 years. I like getting close and personal with the animals. I have bagged several deer, turkeys, 2 bear, cosican ram, emu and a fallow deer with archery equipment. I will still use a shotgun for upland game like pheasants and quail. I don't waterfowl hunt. Sometimes I wish I did!:wink:

13. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I like bowhunting alot, it's alot quieter in the woods during bow season, But I still like to pull out the rifle to get even with the ones that bust me in the stand with the stick and string. If I had a really good place with a large population of deer and low pressure would probably hunt with the bow only. Definately get a bigger rush out of watching an arrow connect in the sweet spot. It's all good!!! Either or for me.

14. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I hunt for meat. A lot of years I have filled my freezer during bow season, (6 deer). If I haven't, I will use a gun to do it during firearms season, but I very much prefer a bow.

15. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I love bow hunting and gun hunting but if i had to decide bow hunting would win