Still Searching

Discussion in 'Catawba Catfish Club' started by gotta go, Jun 16, 2009.

1. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Late yesterday i went to Wateree to meet up with a member of this site (Gator T) When i got to the lake the weather was bad were i was to put in so i decided to head to Cedar Creek to meet these guys, We never got to go fishing because he had gotten a call that his fishn partner's boat had been found and Rickey Granger was not in it. We rode around the lake and looked at a few sites that gator said that Rickey had fished, but i seen that he was realy concerned and needed to get to were the real search was going on so i took him back to his truck so he could help the DNR in there search. Both of these guys have fished the tournaments held by this club and some of you may even know them. I hate i didn't get to fish with Ronnie (Gator T) but i hate even more the reason i didn't get to fish with him. My wife and i are praying that they find Rickey safe and sound. I called his number today and found out that Ronnie stayed up most of the night helping in the search and had left this morning to continue. Story

[url]http://wistv.images.worldnow.com/global/images/icon_printer.gif[/url][[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana][B]Search to resume Tuesday for fisherman missing on Lake Wateree[/B][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]Posted: June 16, 2009 09:15 AM EDT[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000]Updated: June 16, 2009 10:49 AM EDT[/COLOR]
    [IMG]http://wistv.images.worldnow.com/images/10540038_BG1.jpgRick Granger (Photo source: Jennifer Thompson)

Search to resume Tuesday for fisherman missing on Lake Wateree

[​IMG]

LAKE WATEREE, SC (WIS) - Officials from South Carolina Department of Natural Resources are searching Lake Wateree for a missing fisherman.
    According to DNR's Lt. Robert McCullough, a boat was spotted on the lake around 5pm Monday evening.
    The boat was running and going in circles.
    Once officers were able to get on the boat they found fish and fishing equipment, but not the operator.
    The boat's owner, a commercial cat-fisherman, is known around the lake.
    McCullough says they searched by air and water Monday night with no results. They will be back out Tuesday morning to resume their search

2. GEORGE2

GEORGE2 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I do not know Mr. Granger but my thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. God willing they will find him ok.

3. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Sorry to hear that.That is bad news for sure,Hope everything turns out ok,he will be in our thoughts and prayers as well.I dont think I know him by name,the face looks familiar,maybe I did see him at some of our tourneys.

4. DamonG

DamonG Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Our prayers go out to him and family and friend that he is found ok.

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Prayer go out for a safe report.

6. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    I'm sorry, guys, that it's taken me so long to let anybody know anything, but I've been a little busy.

The news team was wrong. The boat was found at 3, not at five. So at 9 pm tonight, it was 30 hours missing. It's not looking so good.

As far as the DNR searches at night - that's a nada, no. There were three private boats searching last night, and as their gas and batteries died out, they left off of the lake. Fog set in about 4:30. My battery died, and I was running low on gas, too. So I came in. And hour ride home, left out again this morning at 7:30.

Storms ran me off of the lake at 8 tonight. Storms I can handle, but the threats of tornadoes, when I only had a small jon boat to use, was too much. They won't let me have Rick's skiff back - since investigations are still on going.

Even though DNR isn't doing any searching at night, I do want to say that they are doing everything that they can during the day. And today they supplied me with several different boats for doing several different tasks.

Thank you for your prayers. I may be a little slow about keeping you updated, I have little to no phone signal on the lake, but I'll do what I can.

The search resumes again at 7 am in the morning. So, goodnight.

7. JenJen

JenJen New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My husband, Ronnie, (GatorT) has already headed back out this morning to search, so I wanted to take this chance to let you know a little bit about Ricky Granger. Maybe help keep him in your prayers.

Ricky married his high school sweetheart, Pam, when they were not long out of high school. He and Pam have a son, Gary, who just got married last month. Gary has been wearing himself out looking for his daddy. Just before Ronnie, Pam and I went to sleep last night, we heard from Gary that he was headed out on four-wheelers with 'coon lights to keep searching.

Ricky and Pam also have two little girls. The sweetest, most beautiful little things you ever saw. The oldest turns 9 today (happy birthday to her!) and the youngest is 7. The little girls have been staying with me, and they are very worried and scared, of course, but sure that their daddy will be home soon. Their momma is very important to them, but these are daddy's girls, no doubt.

Ronnie (GatorT) and Ricky have been best friends since they were young trouble makers, grew up together hunting and spending as much time as possible on the water. They are much more like brothers than friends, and are very close to being able to launch their live bait business together.

So many lives will be turned upside down if Ricky isn't found safe. Please keep him and his family in your prayers.

I also wanted to let everyone know that Dean (Gotta Go) did my husband a great service, when they found out that Ricky was missing. Not only did Dean ferry Ronnie around the lake, first looking and then carrying him across the lake to the search, but he did all of that with a storm overhead - bad lighting and everything. Thank you, Dean. That was so very good of you, especially when you were just looking for a night of fishing!

8. JenJen

JenJen New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    They found Rick Granger's body this morning.

Thank you all for your prayers, and please continue to pray for his family.

9. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Jen
    I wish i could had done more. Rickey is lucky to have a friend like Ronnie.
    I to have had an experence on the water where friends searched for me. I was lucky and they found me 2 hrs into the search. I had fliped my boat on Santee and was pulled away from my boat by current. I did manage to grab a ski type life jacket but was unable to completely get it on due to a shoulder injury. I held on to it the best i could and even shed a few cloths and shoes cause the life jacket wasn't much good in the rough water. If it wasn't for the grace of God i wouldn't be typing this info. One hr into the so called swim, a cooler that had been trapped under the boat floated right up to me, i held on to it for the next hr until help arrived. The boat by this time was held by 2 anchors upside down, miles away. I was more than lucky, i was blessed. Back then i had no fear of the water, that day i gained respect and maybe even a little fear. When it happens, it happens fast, so fast that you have very little time if any to grab that life vest.
    We read on a news site that they had found Rickey's body but didn't give any info. Me and my family are so sorry and will keep all of you in our prayers.

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Prayers from Missouri. I'm so sorry to hear this. Godspeed to his family and loved ones. :sad2:

11. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Yall all will be in our prayers,If there is anything I or the Catawba Catfish Club can do just let me know.I move know to hold next weeks tourney in his memory and I will see what we can do about taking up an offering or something to help out the Family.God Bless you all.Dont hesitate to call if yall need anything.

12. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Marty - thank you so much. I'm worried about Pam and the girls. She's scared to death. He's all she has, and all she's ever known. (She doesn't have any family besides us.) She doesn't know what she's going to do now. They're coming to stay with us at least until she can get her head straight. So she can certainly use all of the help she can get.

The idea of holding the tournament in his honor is a wonderful one that I truly appreciate. I know he was looking forward to fishing it.

Guys, y'all need to wear a life jacket. I've never worn one on a regular basis in the past. I'm not in the financial position right now to buy the inflatable ones, but it's on my list. And until then, I'll be wearing the bulky, hot life jackets. I'd rather be hot than have my family have to go through this.

Thanks to everyone for their prayers.

13. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    Prayer from Missouri,
    To the family and love ones

14. Jeffrey Green

Jeffrey Green New Member

State:
    S.C.
    So sad to hear this news.My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

15. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    quote by gattor T : Guys, y'all need to wear a life jacket. I've never worn one on a regular basis in the past.

Neither have i. After i flipped my boat, i went and got the US Coast Guard approved Type 1 life vests that Guides have to use. I would not recomend wearing one of these all day but at least have 1 in your boat for each person. The ski type will work good in calm waters and are a little easier on the body in the hot sun. It would be a plus to have one of these on during a normal fishn or riding trip. On Wateree after storms, for some reason there is a lot of floating trees, logs, etc on the water. If you hit one of these at any speed at all it will throw you from the boat. This is one reason i fish from a larger boat, deep, windshild, etc....... When you fish on Santee for 18 plus yrs you appreciate the extra security of a larger boat. None is fool proof, i guess that is why a life vest should be on. If i get caught in a storm or heavy wind, i will bring mine out and lay were it is easy to get to (it saved my life once) and i have even put them on if the water is bad enough. The boat i flipped was a 21 ft Key West, made for rough water, so no boat is totaly safe. Beware pontoon owners, they will flip if conditions are right.(rough water, with wind hitting from the side) The water on Wateree doesn't get like Santee, but i have seen it bad enough on Wateree to be concerned. Drinking while operating a boat is very unsafe, sometimes you will not use good judgement and stay out when you should call it a day. Always respect the water. I too will probably wear mine more than i have in the past. Its really the only safe way.
    We will have Pam and her family in our prayers.

16. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I hope he is ok.We are praying for him and his family.