still or drifting? whats working right now?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by crazyKat, Sep 18, 2008.

1. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i went out yesterday all day. i anchored first and had 1 hit and caught 1 little flatty. then i drifted and caught nothing. i drift for 5 hrs no results. catman went out with me but he anchored all day and put 10 fish in the boat. was wondering if anyone else was having this happen? i fished owensboro area. gna go prefish hawesville the next few weeks before the tournament gets here.

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i fished for 5 hours yesterday drifting and anchored both.. the only 2 fish came drifting 50ft of water..

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    There is no magic answer. I believe that you done everything right and was prepared for both types of fishing. You have to find what is working that day and stick to it. Good luck in the future

4. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    how are u guys drifting? im all new to it and just started. my pole holders are off the back. and 2 on the front. i drift with the current with the front of my boat going with the current and my lines behind me. should i turn the boat around backwards where the back of the boat is going with the current? does it matter the boat goes over before the bait does? dont have room to mount them on the side and drift sideways? im just dropping lines straight down and cranking up off bottom at diff depths. i dont drag bottom cause the areas on the river i fish will snag every time? am i doing this all wrong? never had anyone to show me just learning on my own

5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    sounds like your doing everything right.. have you tried drifting the channel away from the snags .. how deep of water are you fishing right now?

6. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i aint even gonna say it!

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    come on steve let him have it.... was the boy not listening in school???:wink:

8. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I almost drifted yesterday but I was fishing closer into bank for some flats only caught two fish in three hours but one was a nice one a 42#. The bite was slow yesterday on the ohio where I was at in the evansville area.

9. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i know steve lol im always asking the same questions. lol i cant help it just always feel like im doing something wrong and i know its just gonna take time. yesterday i drift in 20ft then i moved to 30 to 45 ft then i went shallow to 15 to 17 ft. lol i think i should have stuck to being anchored. i just love the whole drifting idea guess cause its new to me and more going on. when i caught the flat i was anchored fishing near a sunken barge in about 20 ft range. Basham was out there i seen him on a 18 pounder in a spot i wouldnt have even thought to fish but he is pretty good. hope u guys do good in henderson next week. wish i could watch the weigh in but i got to work.

10. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    it takes time to learn what your doing right or wrong.. when i first started drifting i got so frustrated from being snagged up all the time that i swore i was done drifting and that everyone that was telling me how to do it was full of it!!!:smile2: but then after a few successful trips with these guys i figured out that i couldnt drift in the same structure that i was anchoring on... get in some open water and let it rip!! friday night bill harris and i caught 26 fish in 5 hours repeating our drift in the same hole.right smack in the middle of the river!!. when you get out the fish dont be afraid to pull up river and drift the same hole ...

11. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    This is the key!! Well said, I experienced extreme growing pains when learning to drift, I am no master, but it is now my prefered technique!

12. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    keep it simple and you will get better! like biga said go to the open water!30-40 ft in my key depths for numbers! find you spots with with the bait~!

13. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    u guys are great. i really appreciate the help. im gonna go to hawesville sunday and try it out. then next sunday a friend of mine he got second in this owensboro tourny he is gonna take me to hawesville and show me some holes he has. he is a good guy he just loves to fish and he doesnt care to show you where and how he catches them so thats pretty cool. he said he has about 4 spots in hawesville that produce big fish most the time. lol we all know they arent there all the time. so i should be ready for hawesville maybe i can do good in that tourny. anyone want to preregister just let me know and i will tell ya how.

14. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    This time of year i drift to find some active fish and if they are not suspended and then i go above them and anchor and fish into them. if they are suspended then i just keep drifting over them until the bite stops

15. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    good info guys thanks

16. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Jody,
    Ive found that this time of year the fishing is very hit and miss no matter what method you use. August and September are usually very hot with little rain making the water system almost stagnant, this causing the blues to not hit well. Ive just started drifting this year and done fair at it but still have alot to learn. My opinion is you should drift as long as the conditions allow due to covering so much more water. You have to try different techniques also, like dragging your baits and suspended baits. I also believe that blues will come up and strike but not always go down and hit your bait. I believe you can also drift too fast but this time of year, at least here on the Ohio thats not possible with the lack of current. If possible always use fresh bait, frozen works sometimes too but fresh is always better. Try things like cutting filet's off your bait instead of using just the heads and gut pockets. Ive found filets from shad and skips work really well at times. This is just a bit of knowledge ive gained and hope maybe you can try it and it will work for you.. rspd507

17. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Very good information. Don't rely on just one technique. When the bite is slow you have to remain flexiable! Good luck