Still not sure of circle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by grizzly, Jun 26, 2007.

1. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    This morning I caught my first 3 catfish ever on circle hooks. 1 was in the corner of the mouth. 1 was hooked in the center of the bottom jaw. 1 came out the eye of the fish. All were caught on gill heads hooked through the eyes.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    So what's the problem?

3. bigsmitty13

bigsmitty13 New Member

State:
    Texas
    sounds like they worked

4. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Do the hooks have "offset" points????Dwight

5. mcbluegill

mcbluegill New Member

State:
    missouri
    Every time I catch one they are always in the corner of the mouth.

6. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I Only use circle hooks when catfishing.:confident: They always work well for me.

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Give them Time!!!!

They will most likely wind up in the same place mine did two years ago.... at the bottom of the river, LOL!!!

8. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Have never used a circle hook but will get some and try them.Fished surf last fall with a bunch of fellows that were using them and they seemed to be hooking up with them as well as I was using 'J' and offset hooks.I like the idea that less fish get gut hooked and die.
    Jake

9. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Brian, sounds like you had a decent day of fishing, that's how circle hooks work.

10. Oldbear

Oldbear Member

State:
    Iowa
    Glad you had some luck. What do you think you did different? I know your not suppose to set the hook but I just can't resist then I quit using them for a while but do like the thought of them not swallowing it.

11. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Yes the hooks are offset. They are Eagle Claw 6/0 circle sea hooks. Out of the pack they were so dull it was unreal. What I did different was to fish them under a large homemade float to give the fish somethin to pull against to get the hook to set. On the first run my wife said I did jerk, and I didn't realize it. After that I let them run and pull on the float for a while. It's something I'll have to get,used to, not setting the hook.

12. Cat Hunter

Cat Hunter New Member

State:
    texas
    Seems like they worked just fine. They have never let me down.

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yea they seem to be working ok they were all hooked on the way out. i used some j's just because and the fish were getting hooked deeper , were ever the hook point touched first, witch aint as good for the fish.

14. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Heck, I'm not giving up on them. It's something different to try, and I've allways been a sucker for different things. I just have to remember NOT to try to jerk their fins out of socket. I really thought these hooks would be good for the wife. She likes to just start reeling without setting the hook.

15. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    circle hooks work ..just be sure to select the right size hook for the fish that you are after. If the distance from the hook point to the shank is 1/16th of an inch you will not catch a fish with a 1/2 inch thick lip. Let the fish load up the rod then and only then give it a firm tug, not a yank, then fight the fish. I was one of those that that had big problems with circle hooks but with a lot of lost fish from jerking at the first line movement, I have learned my lesson
    Good Luck

16. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Catman,

Mentioning hook size...I heard one guy say that the only size hook he used was an 8/0 for big/little fish....He says he's caught fish a lb in size with an 8/0 hook....Just wondered what everybody thought about that one????Dwight

17. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I went to Kahle hooks when I lost most of the feeling in my hands.It comes and goes as it wishes.They were a big help as you can set the hook or they will hook them selves.They might work for your wife.I think most of us that have been setting a hook all of their lives do it with circles and don;t even know it.Now I catch from 3 inch Bluegill to 6-7 lb.Bowfin at times on a little #8 Kahle hooks fishing with wigglers and Crickets.The big fish normally swallow the hook.That is #8,not 8/0.I can see our 1 lb.Bullheads getting hooked on on the tip of a # 8/0 J or maybe a Khale once in a while due to their their big mouths and aggressiveness.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

18. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I have gotten into circle hooks with both feet this year and it has been my experience that with an 8/0 I rarely catch fish less than 4 pounds. I see and feel the fish trying but they just can't get it in their mouth I guess. That is ok because I am targeting fish 5 to 10 pounds anyway. If I were going after smaller cats with not many larger fish present I would drop to a 4/0 to 6/0.
    Whatever size you use make sure that the bait doesn't take up too much of the bend and the point is fully exposed.

Cheez

19. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Cheez,

Yeah, I fish old rivers and my normal hook size is a 4/0....And thinking of going down to 2/0 on some of my smaller rigs....I love the circles, even though I'm not "accustomed" to useing circles....But the theory behind the circles is a great one....I also use "inline" points, I don't trust the "offset" ones for the simple reason, it seems to screwup the circle hook theory....That's my opinion anyway....Dwight

20. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    That was probably me. I use 8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks for everything, all year long - anchored in river current, drift fishing in lakes and anchor fishing in lakes during the winter. I don't target small fish and I'd just as soon not catch them, but they turn up pretty routinely anyway. I might catch a blue cat 20 or 40 lbs followed a few minutes later by one 2 or 3 lbs.

The advantage of using a big hook is that you're ready for a monster when he comes along. Sure, you *might* hook into a 50 or 60 lb brute with a 3/0 hook and you *might* get him landed, but the odds are much better when you use a bigger hook. I'd rather miss a lot of small fish than one big fish.

As others have mentioned, a large part of the success or failure of circle hooks is how you hook your bait. You need the entire gap (area between the shank and the point of the hook) to be clear if you want a good hookup. You don't bury your hook in the bait like you might with a J hook; you leave it very very visible.

The other part that's hard for folks to get used to is that you need to put the rod in a sturdy rod holder and leave it there till the fish is obviously hooked. Holding the rod in your hands with a circle hook is a sure way to lose the fish -- you have to let the fish do the work of catching himself.

Are circle hooks the right hook for everyone? Probably not. But it sure seems that a lot of folks who take the time to learn how to use them end up being permanent converts. They may not mesh with your style of fishing, especially if you're a "cross their eyes" sort of fisherman, and that's OK - use whatever hook works for you.