Still no luck with my mercury 40HP

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Chief, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    took the last advice and bought a new plastic 3 gal tank. hooked it all up and same issues. though when i was done and had it out of the water tank i noticed what looked like a little smoke coming from around the nut that holds the prop on. also someone told me that it wont run if the shear pin is broke...shouldnt it still idle in neutral? anyways i'm tired of it so i'm gonna hunt down a merc dealer and have them get it going. i'm just worried its gonna cost too much, i already got $250 rapped up in this thing. if my repair bill is $300 i might as well of bought a new briggs and straton 5 horse

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Clayton it doesn't matter if you have the whole lower unit off that motor will still run.
    Now if you had rust in that tank then it has contaminated the whole fuel system again. Now I don't want you to get mad at me but you need to get a Manuel and go thru that fuel pump and the carbs again. You will have to tear the carbs down and soak them that means removing every thing in them ,jets and all to clean it real good. Take a small wire and some compressed air and blow out all the little holes in the carbs,

Just cleaning a spot here and there will not get it done.

I would say a carb job will cost you a whole lot more then 300 bucks and it can be done with the cleaner and all for about 75 or less.
    A outboard will not run with a contaminated fuel system.

I sincerely hope I have not made you mad but this has to be done in order for it to perform properly.

3. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    And one more thing. Be sure and check the compression. I had a 65hp Merc and while on the lake one day it started acting like I was having fuel related problems. I took it to the local repair shop. They called me the next day and informed my my top cylinder was bad. This was a 3 clyinder motor with only two carbs. The top cylender was getting enough fuel and was running lean. The lean condition caused the problem.

Get the carbs cleaned and get the fuel pump cleaned and all the fuel lines clean and then if the problem still exist, check compression.

4. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    dang moderators changed the title of my post to a 40HP..lol its only 4! i have an operators manual and thats it, it doesnt show were the carb is, but i'm assuming its up front where the fuel line hooks into. i'm not much of a mechanic does this carb have lots of little parts for me to lose? what about springs that pop out? do i need a rebuild kit or something? make me up a list

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Clayton give me a few here and I will pm you a blow up of the carb and they are simple to work on just take pictures as you go for a reference point plus the carb ain't that hard to do.