still little to no water running at Warsaw???

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Catfish Pursuit, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Check the water site daily and am wondering what the deal is with the small amount of water that they are running? Man, really sucks for fishing. I know that Truman is on the rise bigtime after that last rain so hopefully they will crack the dam a little and keep it going. Heading down this weekend and would be nice to be able to fish some current since the shallow water bite is gonna be on hold till it warms back up. Just looking for everyone's opinions. Chris

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The Missouri is at flood stage at Boonville, and it's threatening flood stage at points below. The Mississippi is at or near flood in a lot of places too. I think they are in flood control mode with the lakes for now.

3. Catfish Pursuit

State:
    Missouri
  4. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    If the MO & SIPPI are flooding you can be they'll hold back water upstream for a while.

5. Catfish Pursuit

State:
    Missouri
    Well, Lake of the Ozarks is about 8 feet low so they could use the water, who knows? Chris

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Actually were about normal this year Chris, we just havent seen it the last couple of years with all the rains we had. They lower it so the contractors can build sea walls on those new multi-million dollar new homes. :wink: And in preperation for heavy spring rains. Around the first of April we should see some water if it reamins on there normal curve hopefully. Come on Rain LOL.....

http://www.ameren.com/HydroElectric/Reports/Osage/GuideCurve.aspx

http://ameren.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=569

7. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Wouldnt worry chris ,we get a few more rains and get up to 715-720 they will start running water,:wink:

8. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't wish any Bad luck on ANYONE, But I would like to see Truman get another BIG drink of water or Two before April. The last Two years of consistent water flow from Truman has made for some Good Fishing! :tounge_out:
    Good Luck this weekend Chris. I am Guiding a freebie trip for spoonies on Sunday. Ya I said Free, But I have got to take care of the guys who take care of me! (Hunting Ground) :smile2:

Looks like we will be in the Ivy Bend area.
    Rob'

9. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Duckalot... where do you launch at when you snag Ivy Bend? The closest ramp I've found is Browns Bend, but it doesn't look like a very big parking lot. I want to try snagging Ivy Bend this year, but was curious if there were any other ramps nearby.

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    This last rain we had didn't do much of anything to raise Truman lake. It's up just barely over a foot since last week.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/mo/nwis/uv/?site_no=06922440&PARAmeter_cd=00062

Steve said the other day that they were scheduled to start running water on the 15th, don't know where he got that information though. Once spoonbill season gets underway, I'm sure they'll start moving some water...

11. duckalot

State:
    Missouri

I know what ya mean T. I haven't looked back to see what the lake was last year at this time, but with a dry winter and the water release this winter through the dam for Generation they have kept Truman at normal pool. :sad2:

12. duckalot

State:
    Missouri

Hey Seth, we launch from a private ramp on the North side. Its not the best in low water conditions, and it too has limited parking. I will drop you a pm with some additional info.
    :wink:

13. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was below Truman Dam today. The Corps unhooked the cable that stretches across the river at the No Fishing Zone. They took the cable down stream. They usually do this before they start running much water.

Yes, the Corps has a contract to run water constantly starting March 15 every year for the walleye. This should improve the fishing for all species.:wink:

14. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    They normally unhook the cable to begin there shocking for walleyes also. That time of year again, I need to look back at last year and see what dates they shocked. Normally they just take the cabel to the west bank though so who knows. Its good for the hatchery but it shuts the bite down for a while after they shock.

15. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think they are going to start shocking Monday. I'm glad they do because we wouldn't have any walleye to catch if they didn't. :wink:

16. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    How long will they shock for and how long will they run water for?

17. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    They shock til they get the desired #of males and females. Usually a week or two. They will usually shock one day and wait a day then shock again on the third day. Water flow? I don't know.

18. love2catfish

love2catfish New Member

State:
    Northwest Missouri
    I've seen him launching at Brown Bend before. It's a shallow cove, so be careful. There is usually plenty of room in the parking lot. It's a nice facility. I use it quite a bit.