Still learning

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by tntitans21399, Mar 12, 2008.

1. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I first started Bass Fishing last year, first year to have a running boat, and to be back on the water since I was 10 years old. Most of the time I just wanted to get to know the lake, then I got into Bass fishing. This winter I have been reading and trying to get into Catfishing.

I've gotten some catfishing rods and reel combos, since my bass poles weren't durable enough. My work got one of those popcorn tins, the one where you get 3 type of popcorn in, and I was thinking about sealing it up and using it as a livewell for bait fish, since my boat doesn't have a livewell. Would that be big enough and just put on one of the battery or 12 volt Mr. Bubbles in and to hold bait fish?

My next question is I've heard that skip jack and other baitfish cut are the best. How does everyone get their bait fish, and how much bait do you keep in your livewell? I'm guessing a jig on crappie/bass may take up to much time to get all the bait you need. I saw cast nets, and how well do they work? To me it seems once the net hits the water, the fish below may swim away before the net touches the bottom to trap them. Then also once your ready to get off the water, what do you do with the cut up pieces? Do you throw them in the water for some fish to have a lucky meal, or do you throw them away at the docks to keep the lake looking clean?

2. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    as u first question; just about ne thing will work for bait unless u get some big bait & alot of it. maybe look in the member library there's alot of suggestions in there!!!! As for the net thing, it will sink pretty fast catching alot of bait, providing there is bait in the area of course, and if I haven't told u already WECOME TO THE BOC BROTHER!!!!! Others will chime in w/some info for u as well

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    oh yeah that "chum bucket' u talk of will do the trick, put some dollar general dog food in it & lower it down!!!!

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey Chris..... I know from reading some of your other post that you fish Old Hickory some. Bait is plentiful just about everywhere there. You can use cut bait from just about any type of fish. Skipjacks are the favored cutbait. You can catch these on 2 or 3 crappie jigs and you should only need a couple to have a bunch of cutbait. I prefer using the heads from nice sized Bluegils. I have caught more and bigger Bluecats and channels using bluegil heads. You can catch them just about anywhere too on redworms. As for the cast net...they work good if you are looking to score a bunch of shad and you can cut these or use them live. They are pretty hard to keep alive for long periods but you can for a little while. I always prefer to catch just enough bait to fish with comfortably and if there is any left over you can just chunk them where you fish and give the cats there an easy meal and the next time you go there they will be ready for some more. Hopefully. Good luck to ya! ...PS..have you tried over by the skimmer wall area above the steamplant yet? Have you seen the giant rock I mentioned in a previous post? Good place to start for some monsters.:eek:oooh:

6. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    I really enjoy catching my baitfish on a hook. Some mornings before work i like to take an ultra light down to the damn, and i'll throw some worms on a hook with a bobber and catch some shad and blue gill. It's relaxing and fun to do.