Still just "eaters" so far on the upper Anacostia

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by Bunker Dunkers, May 8, 2006.

1. Bunker Dunkers

Bunker Dunkers New Member

State:
    College Park
    Been too lazy to get up at the crack of dawn to give the Blues a proper try on the upper Anacostia, and we haven't hit the best of tides either, so I'm probably just missing the big girls feeding time. But so far we haven't been able to get past the "eater" size this Spring. Cast netted some Gizzard Shad and White Perch the night before on the MD portion of the river to use for bait. The week before we managed a dozen, half and half Blues & Channels; and this Saturday we got about eight, mostly Blues in a few hours. We did have a nice drag "screamer" that I lost to a snag of rusted steel on the bottom, pulled in the steel but the fish got away. I don't think the constant stream of crew and chase boats on this narrow stretch of river helps things much either.

Guess it's time to head down river to the deeper water, it's just tough to leave the more scenic stretch in hopes of bigger fish. Kinda nice having Orioles and Wood ducks flying by while pulling in the small ones actively.

Hope that you all got out.

Bob

Attached Files:

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    hey bob would have been nice to see you guys stop by the weigh in saturday at fort washington we had some hogs weighed in.

3. Bunker Dunkers

Bunker Dunkers New Member

State:
    College Park
    Tim,

Or even better, it would have been nice to meet everybody, if that gov worker had let you have the tourney at Bladensburg. We were still on the water at your weigh in time searching for a fat one, man did that wind pick up as the afternoon wore on. From the tourney results it looked like some nice fish were hooked. Congratulations too on catching that Snakehead, and for not having a "hand wringing" opinion of them. Heck when I visit Florida we're targeting the invasives in the canals (Mayan cichlids, Oscars, Clown knifefish) for most of the time.

One thing I'd like to point out from your other post; you should still be able to dip net Herring and Gizzard Shad from D.C. waters (i.e. Fletchers) per the D.C. rule booklet and webpage.

Bob