Still headaches with 96 40hp evinrude

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Nedo, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Nedo

Nedo New Member

State:
    Ontario
    So I got the boat back from the mechanic. He said my diaphragm was cracked so i replaced my vro pump to be safe. He also said he did a compression test and both cylinders were the same, and he cleaned my carbs. The shaking I was complaining about in previous posts did calm down alot so I'm happy about that, but it will still shut off every once in a while, while it is idling (although this did get alot better too). I also find when starting the motor I have to give it a little gas when it starts to keep it running, then I can ease off the throttle. The mechanic said he checked the plugs and they were good. What else can I look for?

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Get a carb adjustment on the water, in gear, and at idle speed.

See if that helps.

3. Nedo

Nedo New Member

State:
    Ontario
    Im new to boats. How do I do this??

4. Nedo

Nedo New Member

State:
    Ontario
    Fuel does seem to be the problem, since it shuts off when I take the choke off. Choke is off when that little red pointer is vertical and when u move it clockwise to sit horizontal the choke is on, correct?

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It's not a choke, it's a primer. Electricly operated through the ignition switch. Push in on the key and it activates the solenoid. The red lever in it is for manual operation.

If you've got the red lever in the wrong position, it'll stay flooded and run like crap, if at all.

Read through the carb rebuild thread. You'll see the idle adjustment screw.

Did you clean out your gas tank?

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Here's the link to some carb cleaning.http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11900

In pics 2,3,and 4 you'll see the idle adjustment screw. It's that screw inside the brass looking tube. Your carb may just have a screw with a spring on it.

Count the turns in and then back it out again to where you started. while running in gear and at idle speed, turn the screw clockwise 1/8 of a turn at a time. Wait about 15 seconds for a reaction. If it starts to cough, then it's too lean. Go the other way from your starting point and when it starts to run rough, it's too rich. Find the best, smoothest running point and that's it.

If you've got no idle adkustment screw, then you've got a fixed jet and there is no adjustment.

7. Nedo

Nedo New Member

State:
    Ontario
    I see. Mine when I first start it, it makes that cough sound you mentioned, then I feed it throttle and it runs fine. So it sounds like its running lean then.

8. Nedo

Nedo New Member

State:
    Ontario
    I am aware of the primer button, and I do press it about 2 or 3 times before going to start the motor. But with that red lever, I noticed when it sits in the vertical position the motor shuts off, and when it is horizontal it stays running.

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Difference between flooding and running,

Your allowed to push in on the key a couple times after it starts also. It sometimes helps to get it warmed up. Just a quick push for added fuel at warm up is all that's needed most times.

10. Nedo

Nedo New Member

State:
    Ontario
    Called the mechanic today, he said to bring it in. Although he tried to tell me this is normal until the motor warms up, wasn't like this before thats for sure.