Still having problems with Ethanol?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by cantstopgrandma, Jan 25, 2010.

1. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Anybody still having problems with ethanol even after "doing everything right?" Was going to go out with my cousin saturday, but his boat wouldn't start. When it did start it was spitting and sputtering, and would cut out. He's using marine stabil, and startron. He also has a water separating fuel filter. He said it started fine a couple days before..... Is this what i have to look forward to when i pull my boat out again? I used seafoam and marine stabil, i even started my boat up last week beings i haven't fogged the cylinders. I know his problem could have been something other than fuel, but he said it was acting like it did during the summer when his fuel went bad. What are your thoughts outboard experts?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It could have been a plug or anything. If you did the fuel prep right I would say it lowers your chances of something happening like that a whole lot. I don't use any kind of fuel treatment like they do for autos because it has a tendency to dray moisture. The way you did yours is a good way to do it.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You can rebuild your carbs, do a link and sync, and the boat will run like a raped ape. But, the very next trip you can pick up contaminated fuel and your up a creek. People may replace their rubber fuel lines, but just because they have been replaced does not mean that set is not going to deteriorate and foul the carbs. Just because you got your gasoline at your favorite station does not mean their supplier did not slip them a little extra water in the fuel. Fuel lines go bad. Carbs become dirty. It is the nature of the beast. So, when it happens, you start your trouble shooting diagnostics once more and when you find the problem, you fix the problem. It is a never ending cycle. Sometimes you may have years between problems, at other times it seems to be hours. I know some say ethanol will not harm your motor...far as I go, I'll paddle before I put any of that gasoline into my fuel system.

4. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    I'll paddle before I put any of that gasoline into my fuel system. It's starten to look like if you do use that gas, you aint gonna have much of a chose. Its about 4 miles up river to my best fishing hole, any body wanna help me paddle...

5. cantstopgrandma

State:
    MD
    I know what you mean, around here there aint no choice. I have yet to find a gas station that DOESN'T sell gas with ethanol in it.

On a side note, i would like to get a water separating filter this year for my 25hp 2 stroke yamaha. Am i better to go to my dealer and get a yamaha brand, or just go to my local NAPA store and buy one of those made for outboards. What specifications should i look for? 10 micron?

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    10 Microns will do fine. Anyparts store will carry one and get the one that has a filter with the water pit cock in the bottom of the filter. A little more money but well worth it. You can drain the water off it without removeing the filter.

7. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso

WHAT!!!!
    Seafoam didn't fix it?
    I get a LOT of dirty "looks" when I say "Seafoam aint noth'n more than a 79 cent can of alchohol inside of an $8 tin can.

I'm gunna get some guff from say'n that again!!

But I agree with Willard, get a water seperating fuel filter, well worth the money

Ok guys,,,, Im ready for the Seafoam punches:freaked-out:

8. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Now Jeremy it does contain pale oil also, I run nothing but premium and have never had a problems.

9. cantstopgrandma

State:
    MD
    Reread what I wrote. My cousin didn't use seafoam, I DID. I've had good luck with it for several years now in everything from my truck to a sidewalk edger. I use it in my boat motor more for the fact that it'll decarbon the motor. You think seafoam is expensive, price some yamaha ring free. So its a $8 can of alcohol, whats your point? It works good for what i use it for.....

10. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    If stabil isn't good enough, then why do the motor manufacturers recommend it? Not looking to start anything, just wonderin. Thanks.

:glasses-cool:

11. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso

Yep, I mis read it, my bad.

12. cantstopgrandma

State:
    MD

I have heard some people say it doesn't work.....then you turn around and somebody else swears by it (just like seafoam as roadkill636 pretty much stated). I dont know who to believe. Guess i'll use it until i have problems. Danged if you do, danged if you dont.

13. cattoon

cattoon Member

State:
    alabama
    I have not been able to find any fuel that does not have ethanol in it, so I use what is available and also use marine stabil. I have always used stabil and feel like it helps. I had an issue 2 years ago with my previous boat which had a 6 gal plastic tank, I could not keep the water out of it, even sitting in an enclosed shop with the vent closed it would have water, finally ended up draining and manually separating the water using a gallon glass jug. And just for the record I do use seafoam and find that it seems to help in the event that I think there is a bit of varnish or a sticky fuel float. It is not a fixall for every fuel issue but when something around the house begins to run rough or surge then it gets the recommended amount of seafoam added to the fuel and I keep my fingers crossed that it will clear up. more times than not it gives the appearence of helping.