Still fishing ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by warcraft1975, Oct 15, 2007.

1. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

you guys still fishing out there? or are you getting ready to start doing other stuff(hunting, trapping?)i keep saying i am done but the dang river keeps riseing makes me want to still fish even though i really need to get ready to run traps

2. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The Boat is steadily changing from Fishing to Waterfowl mode.
    Seems like evertime I get ready to work on it, someone calls with a "They are Hitting report".
    Heck to be a one boat guy.
    Opener is close gonna have to turn off the Gone Fishing sign and get going.

3. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Still fishing down these parts as long as the temps hold at least above 65 i will still go. However those days are numbered.:sad2:I was suprise to see most of the regulars where still fishing this past Sunday. Keep saying i am going to put my tackle away for next year but haven't had the heart to do so.

4. oakland river rat

oakland river rat New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kansas
    My son caught his first 20 pound flathead on rod and reel this evening down at the Kaw on a green perch. Lots of 5 to 20 pounders being caught in the last few days. We are waiting on some bigger ones to swim by, hopefully. We will keep trying until around Veterans day Nov.11th. We usually quit around then...........:sad2:

5. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

you guys still fishing up in the topeka area? you going deep?

6. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Still fishing here in ohio, not having much luck lately. but im gonna stay fishing for a little while longer i would say.

7. oakland river rat

State:
    Topeka,Kansas

Yes, were still fishing.........hard to let it go........we have been trying it for about an hour or two every other evening before dark with my sons 13/14/and 15.

We have been fishing off of the sand bar facing the weir, in about a 18 FT. hole. My 13 year old caught his 20 pounder in the first 10 minutes that we were there in about 5ft. not too far out.

My 14 year old caught the same 7 pound flathead 4 times in a row the other day if you can believe that.

This year is the first time we have really tried the Kaw.It's right behind us and only 7 minutes away to the Weir..... And it's the first time we have gotten into rod and reel fishing. I've always wanted to be a river fisherman, but my dad was a reservoir man. As you know, we have a hard time draggin ourselves away from the haunts at Clinton. Gas prices and my ol' man having two hernias has put a stop to that for a spell....the ol' man needs to stop carrying around 5 gallon buckets of water and dragging big flatheads over the sides of the boat for about a year..........All the while, it gives me a chance to explore the river and try and catch the huge fish that live there!:roll_eyes:

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

nothing worng with that. the kaw is great.thanks for the info

9. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Jerry, We will have to hook up some time and see if we can hook into some big flats before it gets to cold. Always nice to find someone else in the area that likes fishing for flats.

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Still fishing? Why would anyone still fish with the water still in the mid 60's? Oh thats right there still bitting. Catching fish shallow and deep. Got a flathead the other day out of oh 1.5 foot of water on the missouri.

11. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yep I,m still fishing. had more luck the past couple weeks than most all summer. Been catching alot of channels at the lake. I need to quit for the year or I'll never get my boat done by spring.

12. oakland river rat

State:
    Topeka,Kansas
    Just came home from down at the river. It was my 15 year olds birthday today and we decided to go put in an hour or two. As soon as we arrived around 5:00pm, he landed a 25 pound flat head on a green perch. Biggest fish he has ever caught and a nice birthday present to remember!............Then about 30 minutes later, my pole was being dragged in across the sandbar, and my son ran and dove catching it just in time! I was off talking to another fisherman watching all this this go on. My son ended up getting a little wet, but had him hooked. He then handed me the pole and said it felt bigger than the 25 he had just caught. We had it hooked on one of them tiger rod and reels from Walmart with suspect line, so I took over playing him to the edge of the sandbar. It took me a few minutes and ended up weighing 32 pounds. 2 pounds over my personal best!

I can't believe two of my son's have caught their biggest fish in a matter of two days!

In the last 2 days we have caught 3 flatheads and missed a few others. I want a bigger one!
    The river has been up and is really fishy right now.........:wink:

13. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas

Congradulations, it doesn't get any better than that !

14. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Nice fish, congrats!

15. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Can't hunt anymore, so as long as Milford Lake stays "soft" and the Republican stays deep enough to float the Catoon, I'll be fishing, CAT, that is.:smile2:

16. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Fishing = yes. Catching = not much. The rivers are flooding my favorite spots again, and it will take a couple of weeks for things to dry out, so that leaves the lakes mostly.

17. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    no ice = still fishing

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    im going sometime soon in the next couple days......got to:eek:oooh:

19. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    Brad is right, no ice = fishing, flats will "hibernate", but the blues and channels will still eat.

20. oakland river rat

State:
    Topeka,Kansas
    Tried again today for a few hours in the rain,... and nothing! Seems like they have shut off like a light switch. Hope it turns around again, because we've found this cool jetty out in the middle of the river that looks like it might be good.