still fish chumming?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by papabear108, Feb 16, 2009.

1. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I may be way behind the learning curve on this one. I had the idea to grind up fish parts and fill a section of pantyhose to use as a chum bag. I guess my questions are:

Is this effective for attracting catfish?

And does anyone use chumming of any type to lure cats closer? I have already read that a lot of you drift fish or troll and I can't wait to apply those techniques this year. Any suggestions?:embarassed:

2. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    In my opinion if your drifting you usually have many rods out at 1 time
    I drift with 5 to 8 rods out .
    so thats your sent trail right there ,, If you have fresh cut bait on and make sure to keep fresh bait on your rods , not letting a old bait stay on longer then 30 minutes or so I think thats all you would need .

again just my opinion .

but very curious on your results with this please keep us informed on your results !!!!

only close to this i have done is sinking chum buckets and spreading hog feed pellets over my trotlines .

good luck

3. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I had caught some extra shad one day. They were 2-3 inch yoy. I took about half of them and mushed them up real good and used them for chum. It attracted 100's of gar. That was all I caught after I used them for chum until I went to a different spot. Don't know if it was a freak thing or what, but I will never use bait fish for chum again.

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Brain chumming a hole for eater size cats does work.I use any kind of grain soybean,milo,chicken feed etc.....Fill a 5 gallon bucket about 1/2 full add water to cover and set outside Leave lid loose then the next day add just a little more water then let set for a week or so.I like to chum in a area of standing timber at any depth.Best to chum a day ahead of your trip or at least on the day you go chum three or four spots then go back and start fishing all of them.I like to use you favorite dip bait for this type of fishing.

Once you find a area that is holding cats you can keep them there all summer long if you keep chumming.Best doing this when the water temps are 75 or higher.Keep us posted on your results.

5. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    PS...Brain Check with your local state law's to make sure its legal in your state.Not all state allow it's.

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    saltwater guys make chum slicks to drift thru all the time, i do not see why it would not work with catfishing. I was thinking of doing the same thing with buffalo and carp. I was gonna grind then freeze inside of tomato sacks and orange sacks. I would then drop off of side of boat with rock in bag and drift. I am gonna see how it works one day. Keep us posted

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian I agree with this post for still fishing. I have also seen dry dog food used with success. I use chicken scratch corn.

8. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I never thought about the gars. I am still gonna try it. A buddy of mine uses canned dog food. He swears by it, but I figure if I used smaller baitfish to grind into chum that would add to the natural oil in the water. I will keep you guys posted. Who knows, maybe I will be able to contribute to the group instead of always asking questions.....LOL:eek:oooh::smile2::crazy: