Still around, just been busy.....

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by BKS72, Dec 15, 2007.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Hey, I haven't been around much lately, been crazy busy at work and since I can't buy a fish when the water gets cold, I decided to tear down the ol' barge and go to work on it. In between commuting from KC to Minneapolis, L.A., and Canada for work, I got the boat in the garage and stocked up on some tools (welder, air compressor, picking up cylinders for my torch, etc) to rework it. Got it gutted and by spring I plan to put in foam, new decks, new storage, and convert it to center console. Also getting a fresh coat of paint. Oh, yeah, and to fit it in the garage I had to cut the hitch of the trailer, so I've got a bit of welding to do there to make a quick-release hitch:smile2: I've got 10 days off around Christmas, so I plan to spend it in the garage (or the lab, as I like to call it:wink:) finishing up the boat. I s'pose I need to keep an eye on the board for Cuz's lead fest as well, I'll be ready for a break by then I'm sure. Anyway, hope everyone is doing well and has a great holiday season! Attachment is progress to date on the boat.

Attached Files:

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hey Branden, welcome back brother. Can't type much as I am on a mobile device. Good luck on the boat. See you at LeadStock!:big_smile:

3. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    About time:roll_eyes:

4. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    good to hear from you Brandon. Glad you and yours are ok. Welcome back

5. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    About time Brandon.. Leadfest is the 28th.. See you there.. The boat looks like a nice winter project.. Keep us updated..

6. MoCatfisher

MoCatfisher New Member

Hiya Branden...just wondering about you the other day, hadn't seen anything of you around here for a while...glad to see all's well...hope it goes well with the boat...

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Great to hear from you Branden. Glad to hear all is well. You werent kiddn about tearin the boat down. Makes my little projects seem like ease now. :wink::smile2: Dont work to hard buddy.

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Looks like your going to be busy with the boat project Branden. I was just thinking about you today. I was looking under the Missouri hall of fame and someone submitted a flathead since I looked last...Knocked my measly little one down to third.:roll_eyes:
    Have fun with the boat, you will have to re-name it now if your painting it. The brown barge will never be the same....

9. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Thanks guys! The boat shouldn't be that big of a job, but I've thought that before:smile2: So lead fest is January 28th or December 28th? I need to put it on the calendar. Take it easy,

Branden

10. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    January 28th... I know i gotta be more specific with details huh... hehehe

11. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    OK, got the removable part of the trailer hitch about done. Pix attached show the splice piece I made and how I put it in the trailer tongue. Still needs to be polished a little smoother so it goes in and out of the trailer easier and drilled to take the pin to hold it into the trailer, but the hard part is done. Kind of hard to tell from the pix, but I basically built up a piece of steel tubing to go inside the tongue of the trailer that I cut off. It extends about a foot past the tongue and that part will slide into the part of the tongue left on the trailer and then I'll pin it or bolt it. That way I can take the tongue of the trailer off as needed to put the boat in the garage.

I should have been cool and used 70 series rod on the welds, it would have been prettier, but I had 6013 in the garage, so that's what it got. By the way, I'm always looking for a reason to hang out in the garage and have a cold beverage, so if any of you guys in the area need something welded, just drop me a line. I don't have much material laying around, but there's a place down the road to get steel at reasonable prices if we need material. Take it easy,

Branden

Attached Files:

12. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Looks like its coming along ,i am taking mine out to a conservation lake here this weekend and see if everythings ready on mine. keep intouch

13. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Is Missouri still in the 'area'? I occassionally need to weld and even have a huge TIG but I suck at welding. I'll give you a call when I need something, especially if you bring the cold ones. LOL:smile2:

Man, your shop looks as messy as mine!!!!!

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Any time, Darryl. If there's anything I can help with, just drop me a line (and let me know what kind of uh, sodas to have on hand) I'd love to have a TIG setup, I'd quit my job and just build custom rod racks and fix aluminum boats :wink: Yeah, the shop was clean for a brief, shining moment until I started working on the boat. I'll trash it for 3 days, clean it, trash it for 3 days, you know the drill :smile2:

15. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Yes I do and everytime I swear to my wife that it will stay clean this time. LOL That never seems to work out for some reason.:eek:oooh:

16. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Ok, I'm $270 poorer, but I just ordered 3 gallons of marine epoxy and 4 gallons of expandable foam for the boat project. My new helm, steering cable, and waterproof hatch arrived last week and I should have the foam and 'poxy next Wednesday, so life is good! I'll pick up my pneumatic rivet gun and torch bottles when I get home Friday and its off to the races.

I do need your guys' help, though. Shawna says I should paint flames on the front of the boat and Eric and Joe (the kids) say I should paint a big shark mouth. Either one is a little cocky for a 1980 jon boat with a 75 on it, but it's been awhile since I've broken out the airbrush, so I'm thinking about it. What do you guys think, flames, shark mouth, or plain? First one to say "a big white stripe would look nice" is a rotten egg.:cool2:

17. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Flames, we don't fish for sharks, we fish for cats...hehehe

18. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    do like i did back in the 70s paint a beautiful lady on each side and call it foxy lady.i did that to my racing canoe.

19. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Do the open sharks head fading into flames.......

20. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I vote for the large head of a bluecat, and give it shark teeth. :smile2:

Your quite the talented one Branden. You remind me of Gary. You guys amaze me. I have the best of all worlds per se. I can just dial 1-800-Gary-Come-Fix-It. :smile2::smile2:

Now I can add you to the database as well. :wink: